ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DonationCoder Recipe Sharing Thread

<< < (5/15) > >>

Deozaan:
I don't drink alcohol at all. In fact, buying the vodka for the vanilla extract was the first (and only) time I've ever purchased or had an alcoholic beverage in my home.

As for what I intend to use the vanilla for: Last night it was used in a no-bake cookies recipe. I also like having home-made maple syrup on my french toast, and the recipe I use requires vanilla. Basically, I intend on using it from now on in all of the baking/cooking/goodies recipes that ask for vanilla, where the alcohol will cook out and only the delicious vanilla flavor will remain. :Thmbsup:

tomos:
I made Sloe Gin one year:
Gin, Sloes, a fair of sugar, and six months to mature.
It was great for presents, but I didnt drink it myself - I ended up just using a dash of it in fruit salad, that was delicious. (I do drink, but dont like sweet alcoholic drinks.)

PS no-bake cookie recipe sounds interesting (at some stage!)

Tinman57:
  I just happen to have a bottle of Vanilla Vodka in the bar, so I can just skip the vanilla bean part.   :P

StuR:
Taking Mouser's bait: I'm a long-time magna cum lurker DC fan.

Two off-the-beaten-path recipes. First, from my long-departed Russian grandmother...

ALMOND COOKIES

4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup shelled almonds, with skins
3 1/2 cups unsifted flour
3 tsp baking powder

Beat eggs, mix well with sugar. Add vanilla and almonds; gradually add flour mixed with baking powder. Form dough into four rolls and flatten slightly with fork. 
Put rolls on greased cookie sheet, bake in 325 degree oven 25-30 minutes. While rolls are still warm, slice diagonally in 3/4" slices. [Note: this takes a sharp knife and some skill, so the nuts slice and don't just smoosh into the cookie.] Put the cookies on a cooling rack, and return to (turned-off) oven for 20-30 minutes to dry out.

They should end up the consistency of paving stones, like fossilized biscotti, and are designed to be dunked in tea (or coffee or cocoa), where they'll soften but won't collapse. Warn your guests, without the dunking you could break a tooth.

And, just in time for Thanksgiving ;) ...

SUSAN STAMBERG'S CRANBERRY RELISH

[Susan Stamberg gave this recipe on NPR many years ago, saying it was her mother's. In fact it was invented by Craig Claiborne in the 1960s. A wonderful sharp alternative to the standard sticky-sweet cranberry sauce that makes me gag, and fabulous later on cold turkey. People either love it or hate it, by my survey roughly 20% / 80%; you've been warned.]

Chop or grind together 2 cups raw cranberries, one small/med onion. Add a scant 1/2 cup sugar (or less, to taste), 3 Tbsp. strong horseradish, 1/2 cup sour cream (or drained yogurt). That's all there is to it, it's that simple. Let it sit for a day then stir, it's better that way.

mouser:
Good on you StuR!!
Welcome in, the water is fine  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version