ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DonationCoder Recipe Sharing Thread

<< < (4/15) > >>

Tinman57:
Tinman, I might have to try your recipe just out of curiousity about how the cookies will taste when made with sugar substitute. -mouser (June 02, 2013, 07:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did you try the recipe yet?

app103:
Tinman, I might have to try your recipe just out of curiousity about how the cookies will taste when made with sugar substitute. -mouser (June 02, 2013, 07:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I (and others) actually think this recipe taste better than the sugar made recipe's.  I love oatmeal cookies, but the regular sugar variety, no matter how made, have way too much sugar for us diabetics.  That's why I got to experimenting and created this sugar free recipe.  I have only shared this recipe with a few people, never thought I'd publish it anywhere.  Now the secret's out!   :o
-Tinman57 (June 03, 2013, 02:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am going to have to make these for my diabetic hubby. But I may have to substitute whole wheat flour for the white stuff. (and no baking for me till the fall, so it may be a few months before I can try this out)

app103:
Mouser started this thread right after a discussion about home made ice pops.

My daughter was in the mood for the taste of pumpkin pie, without having to actually cook anything. So she started with a can of Libby's Easy Pumpkin Pie Mix, that she bought on clearance at work:

This is the stuff that you'd normally add a can of sweetened condensed milk and a couple of eggs to it, to make pumpkin pie filling. It has all the spices in it already. She added the sweetened condensed milk, but left out the eggs, thinking it could be eaten as a "pumpkin pie pudding".

Except that it was really runny.  :(

When she offered me some, I suggested my share go into some ice pop molds:

It was the best idea, ever! Now we can have that taste of pumpkin pie in the middle of summer, without heating up the house even more than it already is.

So, either do it the way we did, or make a batch of your favorite pumpkin pie filling, without the eggs, and freeze it in ice pop molds.

And those ice pop molds are a great investment. You can make pudding pops, fruit pops (with any mashed/pureed fruit), chocolate mousse pops, or anything else your imagination conjures up.

I like to use classic wooden sticks in mine, instead of the plastic sticks it came with. Once frozen, I pull the pops out, slide the lid off, wrap the pops in waxed paper before storing them back in the freezer. That way I can keep reusing the same small set of pop molds to keep making more ice pops, without waiting for people to eat the ones I have already made.

Deozaan:
I bought a homemade vanilla extract kit in May and used my vanilla for the first time last night.

Vanilla Extract

Ingredients:

* Vanilla Beans
* Alcohol (Any of: Vodka, Bourbon, Light Rum, or Brandy)
* You'll also need a bottle to put the beans and alcohol in for the extraction process.
Here's a picture of the ingredients/tools I used, as well as the instructions:

Instructions:
1. Prepare your bottle by cleaning it with hot, soapy water and dry thoroughly after rinsing.

2. Using a sharp knife (or kitchen scissors), split each vanilla bean lengthwise, end to end.

3. Place split beans in bottle and fill with either vodka, bourbon, light rum, or brandy. For a lighter extract, use vodka; for a heavier extract, use brandy. Be sure the beans are completely covered with alcohol.

4. Seal tightly and store in your cupboard. (It's important that your vanilla is kept out of the light.) Lightly shake the bottle from time to time.

5. Your extract will be ready in approximately four weeks, but this isn't an exact science. The darker it gets, the stronger your extract.

6. Each time you use your extract, refill the bottle with your alcohol of choice so that the beans are always covered. You'll have the best tasting extract for years to come!

tomos:
^Looks great Deo -
what are your plans for it?
- no need to give full recipes for them, well not straight away anyway :)

I'm wondering would it be too overpowering in cocktails, but then I'm not much of a cocktail drinker...
and I see it's not an original idea:
http://www.barnonedrinks.com/drinks/by_ingredient/v/vanilla-extract-933.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version