ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Privacy Policy

<< < (2/2)

TaoPhoenix:
Or to simplify:

... lie about your name and other personal information...-40hz (July 11, 2013, 06:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Always.
-4wd (July 11, 2013, 08:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not always forever, because they're closing in on the other side that "violating a site's TOS by providing false info = makes you a Bad Person".

40hz:
Or to simplify:

... lie about your name and other personal information...-40hz (July 11, 2013, 06:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Always.
-4wd (July 11, 2013, 08:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not always forever, because they're closing in on the other side that "violating a site's TOS by providing false info = makes you a Bad Person".
-TaoPhoenix (July 11, 2013, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well...maybe they should remember that sometimes "you gotta take the bad with the good." :P

And yeah...it makes potential extra work for the Feds. Is there a problem with that? 8)

Renegade:
You don't have to lie.

Simply speak out loud, "My name is Dread Pirate Roberts." Poof! You've just given yourself a new name. Use that. Then decide that you live at an address, even if it has been commandeered by some hooligans that think it belongs to them.

Now you're no longer lying.

Once you're done, change your mind and choose a new name & address & whatever for yourself.

The term & conditions are not specific enough to specify against the case I outlined above. Or at least I've never read any that are that specific.

Hey, if they can be douchewads, why can't we? :P

Oh... And don't sign up for an account at Outlook.com because they give the NSA access prior to encryption as well as how to decrypt emails, etc.

4wd:
Once you're done, change your mind and choose a new name & address & whatever for yourself. -Renegade (July 12, 2013, 03:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nah, let someone else do the hard work: Fake Name Generator

Tinman57:
There are ways to get around all this invasive silliness. My guess is that most people here already know, but, just for the sake of it, I'll run down through a few ways to help.

* Get a VPN subscription from a service that doesn't keep logs (see Torrent Freak for reviews)
* Use TOR & the TOR browser
* Get multiple email accounts
* Get Keepass to store all your email accounts & passwords (or a similar program)
You can aggregate some email addresses into 1 with forwarding, but make certain to keep them mostly isolated or grouped by purpose. Do not tie any of them to your main email account and do not put in any real information. Use all fake info. It's easier to use fake info if you choose a historical figure and enter their birth dates, etc. That just makes it easier to keep track of. Also, you can keep that as a note in Keepass.

It can be a PITA, but depending upon what you want, it may be worth it. -Renegade (July 10, 2013, 10:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

VPN and Tor are great, but they also slow down your internet connection.  I can't afford to lose any more speed than what I have now....  As for Keepass, I use AIRoboForm registered....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version