ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Custom webmail recommendations (to switch from gmail)

<< < (3/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
A hosting package that includes CPanel includes 3 different webmail interfaces and also gives POP and IMAP access to the same accounts.

Most hosts will also offer secure connections - but to use your own domain name securely you would have to buy an SSL certificate.

wraith808:
A hosting package that includes CPanel includes 3 different webmail interfaces and also gives POP and IMAP access to the same accounts.

Most hosts will also offer secure connections - but to use your own domain name securely you would have to buy an SSL certificate.
-Carol Haynes (May 31, 2013, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah... but the UX on those standard mail interfaces is one of the reasons I went away from using my own.  All of the alternatives I've seen on hosts have really sucked.

SquirrelMail?  Horde?  Bleh.  And Roundcube is only barely better.

superboyac:

-Carol Haynes (May 31, 2013, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah... but the UX on those standard mail interfaces is one of the reasons I went away from using my own.  All of the alternatives I've seen on hosts have really sucked.

SquirrelMail?  Horde?  Bleh.  And Roundcube is only barely better.
-wraith808 (May 31, 2013, 07:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
yup i totally agree.

But atmail has a pretty gmail-like interface.  I think the goal is to have your email data under your control (like your own computer, or your own server space, even if it's rented) and use the webmail software to navigate it.  So I'd use atmail on my own server, basically.  I don't want gmail or yahoo or outlook because they store your email data themselves.  I would love to just use the gmail software on my own server, ideally.

wraith808:
You can use gmail and outlook (not sure about yahoo) without storing the data with them... well ostensibly.  I don't *think* that they store in the case of IMAP... but it does pass through them, so...

TaoPhoenix:
But atmail has a pretty gmail-like interface.
-superboyac (May 31, 2013, 07:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not having it unless the multi-inbox mod is supported. My best use of Gmail that I hooked my CFO on was a 7 layer spread of sorting the email by category. Nothing else matters if that was dropped in the new update.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version