ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Custom webmail recommendations (to switch from gmail)

<< < (2/4) > >>

wraith808:
smartermail and atmail are pretty good.  In addition, there is a good comparison on Noupe.  It's pretty old, but its how I found atmail.

My personal recommendation would be to use a commercial webmail solution, and point it towards your own mail server, especially if you want a well developed user experience.

superboyac:
smartermail and atmail are pretty good.  In addition, there is a good comparison on Noupe.  It's pretty old, but its how I found atmail.

My personal recommendation would be to use a commercial webmail solution, and point it towards your own mail server, especially if you want a well developed user experience.
-wraith808 (May 31, 2013, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
atmail is nice.

TaoPhoenix:
Kinda tangential, but I have been using Yahoo mail for almost a decade, half of which because it was Not-Gmail, rather than any real liking for the "quality". But Yahoo seems to be the only other major web mail service out there.

I'll plead ignorance on Hotmail, your choice of one more, and then it drops off a cliff.

Carol Haynes:
Kinda tangential, but I have been using Yahoo mail for almost a decade, half of which because it was Not-Gmail, rather than any real liking for the "quality". But Yahoo seems to be the only other major web mail service out there.

I'll plead ignorance on Hotmail, your choice of one more, and then it drops off a cliff.
-TaoPhoenix (May 31, 2013, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I would thoroughly recommend avoiding Yahoo like the plague. The websoftware is flaky at best (doesn't even work in some browsers when you sign up) and their servers are constantly being hacked - plus the advertising is chronic.

TaoPhoenix:

-TaoPhoenix (May 31, 2013, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I would thoroughly recommend avoiding Yahoo like the plague. The websoftware is flaky at best (doesn't even work in some browsers when you sign up) and their servers are constantly being hacked - plus the advertising is chronic.
-Carol Haynes (May 31, 2013, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

These are fair criticisms. I've taken some measures to reduce the ads. It was more of a remark about longevity. Since my real comp skills are kinda thin, I can't think of any other solution that would be the same 8 years later. (I started using Yahoo mail about 2004.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version