ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Updates

<< < (3/4) > >>

Tinman57:

I ran BeachBit, and from what I could tell it wanted to remove ALL of the updates/patches.  I just want to delete the superseded updates.  I'll see what KCleaner has to offer.

On another note, BeachBit has a sneaky spyware installer.  The first install screen with what looks like the EULA is actually trying to get your permission to install spyware.  If you select 'Decline' as I did, you'll be taken to the actual EULA for BeachBit.  This is the reason why I ALWAYS read everything presented on an install...   :read:

Stoic Joker:
In XP all the update files are in hidden folders in the Windows directory. The only one that should never be deleted is the update history folder named $hfg_ something (I forget the exact name but it always at or near the top of the list). The updates will all be named $KBxxxxxx so they stay grouped together. In going with Ath's don't delete the updates from the last month or so recommendation I'd say to just use the standard behavior of Windows and delete the blue ones...as by default files that haven't been accessed in (IIRC) 90 days are compressed by NTFS and will have their file names listed in blue.

In a pinch if something went wrong later system restore can still be used to roll back to a pre-update state as in does not rely on these files...they are only used for manual uninstall of specific patches.

Tinman57:
In XP all the update files are in hidden folders in the Windows directory. The only one that should never be deleted is the update history folder named $hfg_ something (I forget the exact name but it always at or near the top of the list). The updates will all be named $KBxxxxxx so they stay grouped together. In going with Ath's don't delete the updates from the last month or so recommendation I'd say to just use the standard behavior of Windows and delete the blue ones...as by default files that haven't been accessed in (IIRC) 90 days are compressed by NTFS and will have their file names listed in blue.

In a pinch if something went wrong later system restore can still be used to roll back to a pre-update state as in does not rely on these files...they are only used for manual uninstall of specific patches. -Stoic Joker (June 03, 2013, 06:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unless you have them un-hidden like I do.  But as far as showing up in blue, I've never seen this in XP using Windows Explorer, all the icons are yellow by default.

x16wda:
I ran BeachBit, and from what I could tell it wanted to remove ALL of the updates/patches.  I just want to delete the superseded updates.  I'll see what KCleaner has to offer.

On another note, BeachBit has a sneaky spyware installer.  The first install screen with what looks like the EULA is actually trying to get your permission to install spyware.  If you select 'Decline' as I did, you'll be taken to the actual EULA for BeachBit.  This is the reason why I ALWAYS read everything presented on an install...
-Tinman57 (June 02, 2013, 07:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

On the second item (the "sneaky spyware installer")  - where did you get your download from?  I just downloaded the 0.9.5 installer from Sourceforge (again) and installed on my 6 month old Win 8 box.  The Sourceforge download does not contain anything other than Bleachbit - you pick a language and the next box is the Gnu General Public License.  You didn't pull it down from CNet did you?  Sounds like someone repackaged it with OpenCandy in front.

(FWIW, it cleaned out 2.47gb of cruft on my box, and I did not select all of the options...)

On the first item, superceded updates may be sitting there in your SoftwareDistribution folder (have not checked) but they wouldn't be downloaded in the first place, would they?  Unless you tell your PC to download but not install updates, then you don't install updates...  If they're superceded then they won't get installed so there is no uninstall folder to clean out.  But one of the things Bleachbit does it empty out SoftwareDistribution which will get re-filled as needed next time you check for updates.

pilgrim:
But one of the things Bleachbit does it empty out SoftwareDistribution which will get re-filled as needed next time you check for updates.
--- End quote ---

The important part being 'as needed'.

KCleaner does the same thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version