ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Updates

<< < (2/4) > >>

Tinman57:
My first line of defense in recovering harddisk space on a Windows XP system
-Ath (May 31, 2013, 01:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, Bleachbit does a good job of rooting out all those folders and all the other cruft that accumulates over time.  I've recovered gigabytes on the first run. -x16wda (May 31, 2013, 05:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I went to that website and looked at the features and didn't see anything about removing superseded Windows Update files and folders.

PhilB66:
--- End quote ---

Yeah, Bleachbit does a good job of rooting out all those folders and all the other cruft that accumulates over time.  I've recovered gigabytes on the first run. -x16wda (May 31, 2013, 05:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I went to that website and looked at the features and didn't see anything about removing superseded Windows Update files and folders.
-Tinman57 (June 01, 2013, 05:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's there.
Update uninstallers: Delete uninstallers for Microsoft updates including hotfixes, service packs, and Internet Explorer updates
--- End quote ---

Tinman57:
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

-Tinman57 (June 01, 2013, 05:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's there.
Update uninstallers: Delete uninstallers for Microsoft updates including hotfixes, service packs, and Internet Explorer updates
--- End quote ---
-PhilB66 (June 01, 2013, 06:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I looked all over that site and still didn't see that phrase.  I'll download it and read the docs....

pilgrim:
But that begs the question, how do you know what's superseded and safe to delete?-Tinman57 (June 01, 2013, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

If it was still needed it wouldn't be picked up.

Ath:
If you have ever needed to uninstall a windows update, then don't delete the last month of updates, so you can still revert them if needed. In all other cases just remove all of it. In the early days of windows updates the updates where sometimes flawed, so an uninstall was needed quite regularly, but I havent needed to uninstall any updates (from XP to W7) for many years. Unfortunately since Vista, the stored updates/uninstallers can't be (safely) deleted, but they do seem to use less diskspace.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version