ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Updates

(1/4) > >>

Tinman57:

Here's an interesting question that one of you eggheads may know:  What happens to the Windows update patches when they're superseded?  Right now I have 402 Windows update patches in my Windows folder on my XP machine!

Ath:
They stay there so you can uninstall them (yeah, right :down:), or until you delete them manually. My first line of defense in recovering harddisk space on a Windows XP system 8)

x16wda:
My first line of defense in recovering harddisk space on a Windows XP system
-Ath (May 31, 2013, 01:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, Bleachbit does a good job of rooting out all those folders and all the other cruft that accumulates over time.  I've recovered gigabytes on the first run.

pilgrim:
I sorted out cleaning software a long time ago and rarely look at anything new, but a short time ago I read a review of KCleaner.
As it is portable and also has an 'Analyse' mode when run manually I gave it a try.
To my surprise it turned up quite a few files on both XP and 7, the majority of which were MS Update related.
Having looked through the list to make sure there was nothing that was needed I let it run and have had no problems.

I would not recommend running it automatically, at least until you have sorted out what it finds.
Nor do I think it is something worth running frequently, CCleaner plus CCEnhancer find most of the regular stuff.
But I definitely think it is worth running after installing MS Updates each month.

Tinman57:
I sorted out cleaning software a long time ago and rarely look at anything new, but a short time ago I read a review of KCleaner.
As it is portable and also has an 'Analyse' mode when run manually I gave it a try.
To my surprise it turned up quite a few files on both XP and 7, the majority of which were MS Update related.
Having looked through the list to make sure there was nothing that was needed I let it run and have had no problems.

I would not recommend running it automatically, at least until you have sorted out what it finds.
Nor do I think it is something worth running frequently, CCleaner plus CCEnhancer find most of the regular stuff.
But I definitely think it is worth running after installing MS Updates each month.
-pilgrim (May 31, 2013, 05:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

But that begs the question, how do you know what's superseded and safe to delete?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version