ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: HTML Organizer/Viewer

<< < (2/4) > >>

urlwolf:
Hi mouser,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already tried it, but it does the same thing as MHTArchive. What I actually need is a bookmark manager (with drag and drop capability and ability to create folders within it) with an integrated browser. Only difference is, instead of links pointing to www, it will point to a local file. Now I think I'm more clear. Hopefully this will bring in more suggestions.
-web_stalker (May 07, 2006, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

sounds exaclty like website-watcher, by the same author, and mithic application loved in this forum.

Maybe I'm not getting what you are saying. Another possibility is Opera + Obook or firefox + scrapbook. drag and drop, folders, local links.

otherwise, if you need to mirror an entire site instead of a page you could use wget from the comand line by using the -r flag.

Hope this helps

mouser:
i understand what he wants, and it makes some sense.
he wants the program to be able to bookmark and refer to LOCALLY stored files.

in other words he wants the pages and files to be left alone on his local disk where he can manipulate them as normal files; and just let the manager program work with them there instead of trying to repack them in its own format.

im actually a bit interested in what you might find for this so i hope you'll keep us informed if you find something that works.  this is sort of relevant to the discussions we've had about note taking apps - and the issue of how data is best stored.

nevf:
I have got a lot of html files dealing with various topics and subtopics. It will be very messy to create folders for each topic and subtopic. What I would like to see is a app which would act as a container/link to all these files with an internal html viewer. It should be possible to create virtual folders and files (tree format) within it and link the files to an actual html file. Clicking the file should open in the internal viewer and double clicking it open in the default browser. To put it simply, it would be like an enhanced bookmark manager with internal viewer. Is it possible? Thanks.

-web_stalker (May 05, 2006, 08:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Surfulater should meet your need nicely here. Create whatever virtual folders you want, add articles to them, then simply attach your HTML files to the articles or link to them. If you attach them they will be stored in the Surfulater database and you can delete them from your PC. This puts everything in the one place, so you can easily carry it around, move it to another PC, back it up etc.

You can attach or link to any files, PDF, ZIP, Word Documents, HTML files etc. And you can have as many attachments or links in the one article as you want. Further they are compressed to save disk space.

See the Help topic: Power Features | Attaching & Linking Files to Articles.

At present all attachments are opened in their associated application, however in future you will be able to open HTML attachments directly in Surfulater, if you want to. You'll probably also be able to edit them.

And of course once you are using Surfulater, you can capture and save Web content very easily.

Coming soon is the ability to publish Surfulater content to your local PC or a Web server so you can share it with colleagues and friends.

And if you want to add content from other applications see my recent articles http://blog.surfulater.com/2006/04/26/pushing-content-into-surfulater-from-other-programs-part-1/ and http://blog.surfulater.com/2006/04/26/pushing-content-into-surfulater-from-other-programs-part-2/

And ... :)

Carol Haynes:
Yes I think Surfulator or NetSnippets might well fit the bill.

Coming soon is the ability to publish Surfulater content to your local PC or a Web server so you can share it with colleagues and friends.
--- End quote ---

That sounds interesting but won't it cause all sorts of copyright issues? You would be effectively publishing other people's work???

web_stalker:
i understand what he wants, and it makes some sense.
he wants the program to be able to bookmark and refer to LOCALLY stored files.

in other words he wants the pages and files to be left alone on his local disk where he can manipulate them as normal files; and just let the manager program work with them there instead of trying to repack them in its own format.
-mouser (May 07, 2006, 02:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

YES, that's exactly what I want. At last I'm able to make someone actually understand what I want.

im actually a bit interested in what you might find for this so i hope you'll keep us informed if you find something that works.  this is sort of relevant to the discussions we've had about note taking apps - and the issue of how data is best stored.
-mouser (May 07, 2006, 02:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Definitely. But being on a slow dial-up my ability to scavenge the net (and my ability to respond to the posts in the forum) is very limited. But my quest continues and if I find anything worthwhile, I will definitely share with the forum.

PS: I have tried to revive the topic https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2362.160 with a new post. But no response so far. I guess that everything possible has
been discussed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version