ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera 15 Preview

<< < (4/8) > >>

allen:
:D :Thmbsup: ...I've stayed away from said contest for the exact same reason ...(Never trust a rush job)... But then again I'm one of the few remaining fools that actually like IE.
-Stoic Joker (May 30, 2013, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

IE can hold its own these days, spoken as a user and developer. You're only a fool if it's a version older than 9 :)

pilgrim:
IE can hold its own these days, spoken as a user and developer. You're only a fool if it's a version older than 9 :)-allen (May 30, 2013, 01:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I guess that makes me a fool.  :(

On XP I stayed with IE 7 (+IE 7 PRO).
Windows 7 came with IE 8, I never saw anything in 9 that interested me. When 10 came out I updated, 20 minutes later I was back to 8 and intend to stay there.

On XP I only use IE for MS Updates, on 7 I can't even remember the last time I opened it.

fenixproductions:
@pilgrim
There is IE8 for XP.
I would advise to upgrade not because IE8 is a lot better but because other software may use its libraries (and hence be vulnerable to any of its exploits).

pilgrim:
@pilgrim
There is IE8 for XP.-fenixproductions (June 02, 2013, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know.

I would advise to upgrade not because IE8 is a lot better but because other software may use its libraries (and hence be vulnerable to any of its exploits).
--- End quote ---

What other software? If you are talking about within the OS or OS related, XP was designed with IE6 and in spite of dire warnings I have never seen it stated that updating IE was essential.

I have a lot of software that has never been updated for a number of reasons, some I only have a license for a specific version, some the later versions have either become bloated or been changed in some way.
One of the most recent was Avira which earlier in the year removed the option to choose when to update the product, if I reach the point where it no longer works or definition updates are no longer available I will move to something else.

I am sure that nobody here would disagree with the statement that there is no such thing as 'complete security'. I have a range of security measures in place that probably go beyond what many people use and the last untoward thing I found on any of my computers was a tracking cookie, that was several years ago.
I am under no illusions that my systems are impregnable but I believe that more important than what version of a program you have is how you use it.
There are a small number of exceptions to that, Java for one, but I would not include IE in that group, in fact the only reason I updated to IE7 was because I preferred it.

I have no doubt that in years to come the same things will be said about IE* that are now being said about IE6 and there will still be large numbers of people who use the older versions without any problems.
I am not against updating things I just think that the issue gets out of hand at times.

New is not necessarily better, or safer. It's a question of balance and what I feel is right for my computers and the way I use them. If one of my systems did get exploited that's down to me, no-one else.

barney:
New is not necessarily better, or safer.
-pilgrim (June 03, 2013, 03:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, but that's not a true statement when it comes to IE.  Been proven - sometimes the hard way - too many times.  I still use it, in its latest incarnation, when a site requires it, but I excepted that with IE6 - too many attackers.  Wasn't wild about IE8, but IE9 and IE10 have provided significant security enhancements.  Still not my favorite browser, but it works.  Yeah, YMMV, but my mileage indicates updating.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version