ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera 15 Preview

<< < (3/8) > >>

dcm:
I am a long-time user of Opera, now using version 12.15.  To restore all the configuration options, tap the Opera button on the top left , under Open, and tick off "Show Menu Bar".

I tried the new Opera 15 Mail, but I prefer the integration of browsing and reading mail.

Lashiec:
It's still way too early to evaluate the product, there are tons of things left to do before it can even rival Chrome in functionality, much less Opera. There are a couple of things I like though, like the "Discover" feature, which is much a visual version of Newspond, begging to be improved (Google Reader replacement ;)), or the fact that at long last we have a proper adblock extension (a side effect of the Chromium underpinnings). But not being able to install additional dictionaries, and thus, spellcheck this block of text, emphasizes the character of this build as an early preview, and not the next-gen version of Opera. I guess it's not as easy as say, getting Presto out and Chromium in, and the conversion requires rewriting big parts of the codebase from scratch.

Or maybe I'm being too optimistic, and Opera's big plan is still pulling a Nokia, and moving much of its effort to other more juicy things.

TaoPhoenix:

But they apparently got the Chrome version numbering going! They moved from version 12.x to 15 in one go, and there's this snip from the release notes:
"...you will see new versions coming at much, much faster pace than it was with the classic, Presto-based line."

pilgrim:
"...you will see new versions coming at much, much faster pace than it was with the classic, Presto-based line."-TaoPhoenix (May 29, 2013, 03:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

If I had needed a reason to stop updating that's it. I stopped updating Firefox at v3.6 and it's still my default browser.

When the practice of faster browser updates started it made me think of a row of little boys standing in line trying to see who could get it highest up the wall.
I know a lot of these companies were started by people who were young at the time they started them, but it looks like most of them are never going to grow up.

Not to mention the fact that so many of the changes are at odds with what many users, long-time users, want.

Stoic Joker:
When the practice of faster browser updates started it made me think of a row of little boys standing in line trying to see who could get it highest up the wall.-pilgrim (May 30, 2013, 03:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

:D :Thmbsup: ...I've stayed away from said contest for the exact same reason ...(Never trust a rush job)... But then again I'm one of the few remaining fools that actually like IE.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version