ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Shift to Linux

<< < (6/10) > >>

40hz:
^Not an issue for me. Whatever works best for the user I always say. If Windows does the trick, go for it.

Note: don't read too much into Ubuntu's large number of versions. It was mostly a marketing move to differentiate themselves from Debian's glacial release schedule. A new version of Debian feels more like a second coming than an update.

:Thmbsup:

Tinman57:
^Not an issue for me. Whatever works best for the user I always say. If Windows does the trick, go for it.

Note: don't read too much into Ubuntu's large number of versions. It was mostly a marketing move to differentiate themselves from Debian's glacial release schedule. A new version of Debian feels more like a second coming than an update.

:Thmbsup: -40hz (June 01, 2013, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Didn't Ubuntu just come out with some kind of new updater that took care of all the old issues?

Deozaan:
I really like CrunchBang. But that's me saying it after trying it out on my netbook a couple of years ago and then again just using it in a VM for about half an hour the other day.

I've never used Linux on a daily, real world, get stuff done basis. But I like CrunchBang, and I think I'd try that one if I were going to attempt moving to Linux on a more serious/permanent basis.

40hz:
@Deo - CrunchBang is my favorite go-to distro for laptops. Works very well with lower powered boxes too. Glad you found it. The interface is a little different if you're used to more traditional window managers like MSWindows or Gnome or KDE. But in may respects it's more flexible and configurable than most if you put a little time into learning about OpenBox and how to configure it.

It's also based on pure Debian so you can sidestep and not indirectly support Ubuntu's lack of etiquette in the FOSS community.

Looks pretty cool too IMHO. I always have somebody ask me what I'm using if I'm doing something on a CB laptop when I'm in a coffee shop, library or similar place. 8)

pilgrim:
@Deo - CrunchBang is my favorite go-to distro for laptops. Works very well with lower powered boxes too. Glad you found it. The interface is a little different if you're used to more traditional window managers like MSWindows or Gnome or KDE. But in may respects it's more flexible and configurable than most if you put a little time into learning about OpenBox and how to configure it.

It's also based on pure Debian so you can sidestep and not indirectly support Ubuntu's lack of etiquette in the FOSS community.

Looks pretty cool too IMHO. I always have somebody ask me what I'm using if I'm doing something on a CB laptop when I'm in a coffee shop, library or similar place. 8)-40hz (June 07, 2013, 07:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've never heard of that before. I've not got the time to go through their forum/site at the moment, can it be run as a live CD/USB do you know?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version