ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Shift to Linux

<< < (8/10) > >>

sword:
Re: [#31 pilgrim] live CD
For me, 'live' CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R work with Puppy and Mint_12-32 bit, Mint_14-32 bit, 
but do not consistently allow app additions. 'Live' DVD-RW works perfectly for Puppy
and Mint_12-32 bit and 14-64 bit but not 15-64 bit. USB drives work well for Puppy_5.4.3
and Mint and allow package/application additions. [dedicated Linux PC, AMD-64 bit, two
internal DVD drives failed to work but an external usb 'Buffalo' DVD drive works well.]

pilgrim:
^Out of curiosity - was your new machine preloaded with Windows and UEFI/Secure Boot enabled?

Because if it is, it won't boot Linux (or any other non-Windows OS) off a CD until some changes get made in the hardware setup to allow it.-40hz (June 08, 2013, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

The new PC is all my own work so it wasn't preloaded with anything.

I thought that Secure Boot was only related to Windows 8 and that it was OS based.

Having read your post I have been looking into it. The first place I looked was the MB manual (I'm not on the PC at the moment), it does not mention it. Then I found a thread on the Windows 8 forums about disabling UEFI and one of the MB's mentioned is the same make but a different model to mine, having looked at the images it is probably the same BIOS.

Not knowing any better I strongly suspect that I have it enabled so when I get back to the PC I'll have a look.

sword,

I had an old copy of Puppy I'll have to see if I can find it.

EDIT:

I just checked the PC's BIOS and found no reference to Secure Boot or UEFI.

40hz:
^ I'm glad sword brought up the point about the media type. I too have had weird problems with live CDs burned to RW media with certain machines. Never ran into it with standard non-R/W media however.

Possibly it's just the optical drive in your new machine that's being fussy?

That might be something worth looking into - or try the installation from a USB key assuming you're sure the image you downloaded is good.

pilgrim:
Those that I have been trying are all CD-R, I only use the RW when I am making sure that I want to make a permanent copy.

I need to go through the files on my old PC and its external drive to find the ISO's or I might simply download the latest versions as all mine are several years out of date.

Looking around I found several cases, especially with Ubuntu, where people were complaining of issues with specific versions when previous ones had worked.

I'm not sure that this is a Linux versus Windows problem as a rescue CD that I tested booted successfully and that is Linux based.

When I get any further I'll post again.

zridling:
First, welcome Tosim, to Linux. You're going to love it. Made the switch myself almost 7 years ago(!) and have blissfully side-stepped all the weeping and gnashing of teeth that a life lived among Microsoft products brings. Every once in a while I'll visit that dinosaur site called ZDNet and see all the thunder and fury guys like Ed Bott scream while trying to [still] accept what Microsoft gives them before the next VP who was in charge of the update dashes for the exit door (Sinofsky).

My advice follows that of 40hz. And for those still on the fence, I suggest you simply load distros onto your old machine and use it for your daily tasks. Immerse yourself. And no, don't expect it to be a gaming machine for your Windows games or run Photoshop. But now that Photoshop is a cloud subscription, you no longer can use that excuse.

I use openSUSE because it's very liberal when it comes to software choice and it's uber-stable. Try Mint if your machine can handle it and you'll see all the endless things a Linux distro can really do. Good luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version