ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

We Are the Idiots

<< < (7/8) > >>

40hz:
If you have enough time to average 50,000 miles a year...that traffic can't be that bad.. ;)-Stoic Joker (December 12, 2014, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Beg to differ. Come up here and give it a try. Or just google for info about I-95 in CT. ;D

Stoic Joker:
If you have enough time to average 50,000 miles a year...that traffic can't be that bad.. ;)-Stoic Joker (December 12, 2014, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Beg to differ. Come up here and give it a try. Or just google for info about I-95 in CT. ;D
-40hz (December 12, 2014, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I'm familiar with the drill. Which is precisely why I don't bother commuting to one of the bigger cities in the area where I could make more money...and then waste it on gas getting there and back.

Do they allow lane splitting in CT?? ...Remember I'm on a motorcycle. :D

crabby3:
Do they allow lane splitting in CT?? ...Remember I'm on a motorcycle. :D
-Stoic Joker (December 12, 2014, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

No amount of leather is gonna help you on I-95.  :(  ... any state.

40hz:
Do they allow lane splitting in CT?? ...Remember I'm on a motorcycle.
--- End quote ---

No. (I think CA is the only state that does - or used to if my biker day memories are correct.) But people do it here anyway. Unfortunately, in slowdowns where I am we have an uncommonly large number of lane switchers and breakdown lane runners. They cause more than their share of accidents. They smear more than a few unfortunate lane splitters too. Problem here is the splitters tend to fly in order to get through as quickly as possible. In the meantime, almost anybody can be expected to suddenly lug out of their lane at any time without signalling. They do this to "get a better look ahead" because they're stuck behind an 18-wheeler; switch to a lane they think is moving faster; or they're just trying to get off one of the too many exits we have to take local roads. In a dinky state like CT nothing's that far away from anything else so local roads aren't anywhere near the hassle they are in some places. And with entrances to '95 only (at most) a few miles apart, it's easy to get back on if you change your mind.

FWIW, if I were still riding I wouldn't take my bike up on I-95 around here. Not even on a bet. In the 70s, my buddy and I would ride our bikes all the way up to Boston for school in September, and back home again in May, and not think twice. But these days? I wouldn't even consider trying it. :tellme:

Stoic Joker:
Do they allow lane splitting in CT?? ...Remember I'm on a motorcycle.
--- End quote ---

No. (I think CA is the only state that does - or used to if my biker day memories are correct.) But people do it here anyway.-40hz (December 12, 2014, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's still allowed on CA - According to my brother (who lived there for many years).

Unfortunately, in slowdowns where I am we have an uncommonly large number of lane switchers and breakdown lane runners. They cause more than their share of accidents. They smear more than a few unfortunate lane splitters too. Problem here is the splitters tend to fly in order to get through as quickly as possible.-40hz (December 12, 2014, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, one of my favorite pastimes is to do YouTube searches for (funny) motorcycle fails - Many of which feature lane splitting boo-boos that could have easily been avoided with a smidgeon of common sense. But having ridden since 1977...I have more than just a bit of a 6th sense about reading traffic to know when the odds are in favor of whatever stunt I may be contemplating..

In the meantime, almost anybody can be expected to suddenly lug out of their lane at any time without signaling.-40hz (December 12, 2014, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I live in Florida ...(e.g. Snowbird State)... The only thing turn signals signify is what they're not about to do. :D

They do this to "get a better look ahead" because they're stuck behind an 18-wheeler; switch to a lane they think is moving faster; or they're just trying to get off one of the too many exits we have to take local roads.-40hz (December 12, 2014, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yepper, that's pretty typical of anywhere. This is why the splitting lanes at a high rate of sustained speed is basically idiotic, because it deprives you of the time necessary to read traffic and keep a viable escape route available. OTOH I have split small packs at 120mph on I-95 more than once ... But don't tell Crabby3.. ;)

In a dinky state like CT nothing's that far away from anything else so local roads aren't anywhere near the hassle they are in some places. And with entrances to '95 only (at most) a few miles apart, it's easy to get back on if you change your mind.-40hz (December 12, 2014, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ay yes, the proverbial picking of ones battles. While I seldom use surface streets, I will - in a pinch - switch to them quickly if an accident or other issue causes traffic to backup to much to allow maneuvering.

FWIW, if I were still riding I wouldn't take my bike up on I-95 around here. Not even on a bet. In the 70s, my buddy and I would ride our bikes all the way up to Boston for school in September, and back home again in May, and not think twice. But these days? I wouldn't even consider trying it.-40hz (December 12, 2014, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Understood, but I would. Now I ain't saying I'd enjoy it...but I'd do it ... Even if it was just to say I did.. (eek!) Mind you having 35+ years of contiguous riding experience is a really good cheat in those types of situations.

One of Clint Eastwood's less famous movie quotes was "It's good for a man to know his limitations". And oddly enough IMO he's right ... Which is why I do on the odd occasion err on the side of caution and take the truck. But that's usually when I get one of those funny feelings that I learned long ago it's best to trust.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version