ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

We Are the Idiots

<< < (2/8) > >>

IainB:
...BTW, I know this sounds twisted but I've always loved the way the spray smells... ;D - Kinda like some people liking the way petroleum products smell.
-nosh (May 27, 2013, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, not an unpleasant smell, but I was always careful not to inhale the dust if I could help it (just to be on the safe side).
That just reminded me of:
"Breathe in the ozone, John. It's iodine."
But which is iodine and which is drains?
 - Cornwall In Childhood (John Betjeman)
--- End quote ---

Tinman57:
Yes, we are the idiots.
On the subject of insect control and DDT:
If fly spray has chemicals in it that are apparently fatally toxic to insects and potentially toxic to humans to some degree, and if the same is true of DDT, then I would not want either substance in my environment. They are potentially hazardous. For this reason I would NOT recommend spraying fly spray or DDT around the home and I would avoid exposing my family to either of these toxins/poisons. -IainB (May 26, 2013, 09:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well written IanB, and a lot of good examples too.  As far as eating insects, while they may be healthier than, say red meat, insects carry diseases too.  No way in hell would I eat a fly.  I see them on dog turds and dead things all the time.  yuck!
  Some people eat grasshoppers and crickets, but both of those insects have been known to carry tapeworms.
  As for fly spray, I found out something very interesting in the Air Force.... Fly spray is the EXACT same thing as nerve agents used in chemical warfare, it's just watered down.  It acts on insects the same way it works on humans, attaches to nerves in your body and interrupts them, causing "The Jerks" and eventually death.  Ever see a bug after it's been sprayed?  On it's back with it's legs spastically twitching and then curling up into muscular contractions?  The same thing happens with humans.  Not a good way to go.

But yet they outlaw DDT......

ewemoa:
  But yet they outlaw DDT......
-Tinman57 (May 28, 2013, 12:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

I smell a...arrrrrggggghhhhh!

Tuxman:
Idiot.

crabby3:
BTW, I know this sounds twisted but I've always loved the way the spray smells... ;D - Kinda like some people liking the way petroleum products smell.
-nosh (May 27, 2013, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

So DDT smells like kerosene?  Hopefully not.  i used to follow the fogger trucks on my bicycle... huffin.  That mild kerosene smell was great.
Don't know what they use these days but it's invisable and unscented.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version