ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

English as it is spoke.

<< < (3/4) > >>

IainB:
Let's look at those two sentences:
"Coherent evaluation with sound evidence of whether the aim was achieved along with what worked well and why, and conversely, what didn't work so well and why How were the outcomes of initiative shared? i.e.; if you addressed an issue arising from PACT, how have you responded to the 'you said' by promoting 'we did'?"

--- End quote ---

Possible rewrite:
"Analyse and evaluate, describing whether and how the aim was achieved, and what specifically was effective or ineffective, and why.
How were the outcomes of the initiative shared? For example, if you addressed an issue arising from PACT, how did you respond to the 'you said' by promoting 'we did'?"
--- End quote ---

The original first sentence is very awkward and contains several redundant words. It seems to reflect a form of illiteracy that is quite common in the English-speaking world, where people have learned the language but have not been taught (or have not learned) how to communicate clearly in writing.
This form of illiteracy was particularly prevalent in the UK Civil Service, which was why Sir Ernest Gowers wrote The Complete Plain Words.

Goodness knows what the second sentence is about.

pilgrim:
What they need is a copy of THIS.

I've got one and it's very precise.......................in fact it's precisely 3cm thick which is exactly what I needed to support a table with a damaged leg.
Yes, I'm always working on my English Usage.

IainB:
No, I reckon they already had a copy of that, and had read it, hence the gobbledygook.

Tinman57:
The original first sentence is very awkward and contains contains several redundant words. -IainB (May 26, 2013, 01:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow, an explanation AND an example!  BWAHAHAHAHA!   :D

IainB:
^ Hahaha. Thanks. Well spotted. I hadn't realised I had repeated that. Always difficult to spot your own mistakes. Corrected now.

Is there a word in English that describes that as a figure of speech - I mean, describes a description of an error which itself contains an example of the selfsame error?
Is it simply "an illustration"?
If you do it unwittingly, is it simply "an unwitting illustration"?
If you do it deliberately in humour, is it simply "a humorous illustration"?

For example:
"There are only three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't."
--- End quote ---
It has often puzzled me - what is that sentence exactly? Is it a figure of speech?
Yes, I know it might be a reflective joke on oneself, but is it something else besides?
Is there a word in English that describes it, for example, like "oxymoron", which is "...a figure of speech or expressed idea in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction"?

(This appears to be on topic.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version