ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

English as it is spoke.

<< < (4/4)

pilgrim:
(This appears to be on topic.)
--- End quote ---
Which one?

You'll have to make allowances for the fact that my formal education ended at the age of 10.

For years I thought that 'irony' was something you did after you did the laundry?

IainB:
Engrish as it is spoke/murdered.

IainB:
...my formal education ended at the age of 10.
-pilgrim (May 27, 2013, 03:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
Did it really? How so? I'm impressed.
I always tried my damnedest to avoid attending school, but the best I could do was miss 53% of it (on average).

pilgrim:
...my formal education ended at the age of 10.
-pilgrim (May 27, 2013, 03:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
Did it really? How so? I'm impressed.
I always tried my damnedest to avoid attending school, but the best I could do was miss 53% of it (on average).-IainB (May 27, 2013, 05:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

By that age I could outrun the teachers.

My parents however were determined that I should continue my education, so they locked me in the pantry for several hours each day with a pile of textbooks.

I suppose you could could say that I'm shelf-taught.  8)

The Truth, The Whole Truth, And Nothing But The Truth!My comment, which has been quoted, is actually a true one and has to do with the system not being able to deal with individuality.
These days you hear of children going to college or even university at well below the normal age of acceptance, in my day it never happened.
Even now it is often a question of having sufficient money or knowing the right people - the first was out of the question for me and although I have since met several of the second it wasn't until many years later.

The one advantage that I had was that I could concentrate on anything and everything that interested me while ignoring the rest.
When I was older I spent 15 years studying everything I came across that related to human existence.
I started with religion and ended with quantum theory, having taken in history, philosophy, psychology, and numerous other things along the way, so I now know a certain amount about everything and nothing.

The more I learned the more I realised how little I(/anyone) knew.

(At one point I did consider being a genius........................but I refused to lower my standards.)
(Sorry about that but the alternative to laughing about it is to cry about it and neither would serve a useful purpose.)

Some years ago I was asked to talk to the teenage son of a couple that I knew, although his circumstances were very different to what mine had been he was facing some of the same problems.
So much for progress in education. (Or society for that matter.)

Tinman57:
^ Hahaha. Thanks. Well spotted. I hadn't realised I had repeated that. Always difficult to spot your own mistakes. Corrected now.

Is there a word in English that describes that as a figure of speech - I mean, describes a description of an error which itself contains an example of the selfsame error?
It has often puzzled me - what is that sentence exactly? Is it a figure of speech?
Yes, I know it might be a reflective joke on oneself, but is it something else besides?
Is there a word in English that describes it, for example, like "oxymoron", which is "...a figure of speech or expressed idea in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction"?
-IainB (May 26, 2013, 08:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Gosh, I thought you did that intentionally!  lol

Hmmm, Elucidation?  Delineation?  Ah, perhaps Exemplification?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version