ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

MySQL hacked

<< < (3/3)

rgdot:
Thanks.

Carol Haynes:
To be fair the hacking isn't their fault - part of it rests with me as I still have some websites using Joomla 1.5 because extensions I used are not available for 2.5 or 3 or it is going to be a massive undertaking to upgrade them because of built in forums or shopping carts and the site owners don't want to pay me to maintain or upgrade their website. I can't really afford to upgrade those sites gratis as it is going to be a lot of hours of work. As it stands I am going to make it clear that I have a clean copy as of today and if there is a problem in the future that is the site that will be put back if they don't want my support - alternatively they can make their own backups and then the ball is in their court!

To be honest I think the simplest solution is to move those sites to individual hosting solutions off my VPS and let them deal with the headaches rather than have them let hacking issues affect the whole server.

barney:
To be honest I think the simplest solution is to move those sites to individual hosting solutions off my VPS and let them deal with the headaches rather than have them let hacking issues affect the whole server.
-Carol Haynes (May 21, 2013, 08:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

'Twould seem that to be the most efficacious solution in the future ... albeit not a resolution, per se, for the current situation.  Although, I am confused ... do those clients expect you to protect them from every little foible?  Or is that a thing you're contracted to do?  If the latter, you might want to reexamine your current business plan.    (Been there, to a lesser extent, and got savaged due to lack of real and proper planning upon my part.)

Carol Haynes:
I offer clients ongoing support - which includes website updates and backups but some decline to take it. At the moment I am sorting things out for everyone as a goodwill gesture but I don't want to have to go through all this again so I need to make it clear to people who don't want my support what the future consequences are.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version