topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 4:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Heard back from IDM - no discount  (Read 14985 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Heard back from IDM - no discount
« on: April 28, 2005, 08:01 PM »
Just an fyi -

Despite an initial conversation with IDM (the maker of UltraEdit) that sounded like a discount might be in the offering, i'm sorry to announce that a discount will not be available.

I recontacted them today to follow up on a conversation last week and was told that they don't really have the technical ability to offer such discounts at this time, which strikes me as kind of bizarre given my experience with other companies, but there you have it (I was also told that they are very busy and might be some kind of something worked out sometime in the future, for what that's worth).

If price is a real issue for you, the review lists some great freeware alternatives; if you like one of the other text editors, don't hesistate to email the author and ask them nicely if they might be willing to give you a discount.  You'd be surprised at how many companies will give you a discount if you ask nicely (it helps if you have a reason for asking).

If they give you a discount you might ask them if they want to make the discount publicly announced here on this forum for anyone who finds ultraedit priced too high.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 03:45 AM by mouser »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Heard back from IDM - no discount
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 09:09 PM »
In IDM's defense, they have never offered a discount that I know of in the seven years I've been using UltraEdit. However, for twice the price of registration ($80 in all) they do offer a Lifetime License for UltraEdit, which has been a great bargain. I bought it as version 7 was turning into version 8 years ago and now they're at 11.10. Also, the price of UltraEdit hasn't risen in the past three versions. So while I have my own thoughts on shareware pricing which have challenged by some, I wouldn't be too harsh on IDM because, at the very least, they've been consistent with UltraEdit's pricing over a long time.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 03:53 AM »
zaine,

your points are well taken.
i've modified my initial post to try to be more neutral, based on your reaction to it and the reaction of some of other people i trust; i had a slightly negative impression from my discussions with IDM via email but that probably doesn't have a place here, especially given that many people have expressed satisfaction in their interactions with IDM.

Sentinel

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
  • Generally confused
    • View Profile
    • www.donationcoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 02:58 PM »
Win some - lose some.  As a lifetime license customer of UltraEdit I can assure anyone considering purchasing it that they will not regret it, discount or not.

Thanks for trying though Mouser, your efforts are always appreciated.
Designated "proofreading free" zone.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 06:43 PM »
Incidentally, I use Notepad2 and it does have column selection... though I didnt know until after I read your column (which said it didnt have this capability) and tried one of the other programs activation methods.  All you have to do is hold down alt and it selects columns,

Kevin