topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Kudos/Respect for Mouser  (Read 8507 times)

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Kudos/Respect for Mouser
« on: May 17, 2013, 10:33 PM »
So I've been hanging around DC for a while on and off.  I've had a lot of things happen in real life while I've been around DC so my interests and posts have varied.

'Da Mouser has been on a mission for a very long time and he's attracted some very fine associates to help.  Since I don't know the inner workings, I'll let him distribute credit, which of course he will. ;)

My main point here is that DC has been a very cool, sane and reasonable place to interact with other "Development" minded folks.  I put that in quotes because I think we all bring our own version of what it means, which is all good. :)  The really kewl part is that DC accepts and supports the various viewpoints of development, use and abuse of technology, etc.   In short, this is one of the ONLY places I know that has not gone the way of the Trolls, SPAM Kings or worst of all, Abandonment.  What is myspace.com again?

When you think about it, this site has been and continues to be an extremely successful test case for Mouser's idea.

So take a moment to consider how DC has been a good thing in your life.  You might want to say thanks...I'll start:  Thanks Mouser!  You done good.  :Thmbsup:

Yes I know many of us have in various public and private forums already done this...I just realized it again and thought I'd start trouble.  :P
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kudos/Respect for Mouser
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 11:56 PM »
'Da Mouser has been on a mission for a very long time and he's attracted some very fine associates to help.  Since I don't know the inner workings, I'll let him distribute credit, which of course he will. ;)

Oh I know this one!

"Coding Snack: An app to distribute credit!"   :P

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 04:20 AM »
+1 ... to both posts lol
Tom

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 04:31 AM »
Not only does he richly deserve all the credit he gets but he also deserves our support (?).

Perhaps we should set up a Truss Fund for him?
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 08:54 AM »
This is still the only board I check every day, and I look forward to it.

Thanks Mouser!!!

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 10:24 AM »
Not only does he richly deserve all the credit he gets but he also deserves our support (?).

Perhaps we should set up a Truss Fund for him?

Tie him up?!
:tellme:
* TaoPhoenix sets up a *trust* fund of a dollar! I'm nervous about a Truss Fund!
:P

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 11:22 AM »
As much as I appreciate the sentiment, I don't think I have much to do with this being a nice place to hang out -- things just happened and we are stuck with each other.. I feel lucky that so many interesting characters have decided to call this place their home.

I haven't felt like i've lived up to DC lately -- that I haven't progressed in improving the site to a new content management system and that there are still some very rough edges on the site -- i will try to do better as we move forward.

Given that, I think the best way for me to take this thread is as a REMINDER that i have to take my responsibility to the site seriously and that i have an obligation to the folks who have supported the site and decided to call this place their home -- an obligation to make sure this site stays true to its principles and stays useful.

But let's not become too self-absorbed.. It's always fun to be thanked but I'd feel better about it if we were creating more good stuff and content, and more new faces were joining in the conversations with us old timers.  We've got some improving to do.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:33 AM by mouser »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 12:36 PM »
So take a moment to consider how DC has been a good thing in your life.  You might want to say thanks..
I'd definitely like to add my thanks to Mouser-- for this site, for the great example he has set as the person in charge, for the terrific software programs he has created, and for his unflagging help and patience.   But, as Mouser has often pointed out, for a site to be successful, it takes more than just a great administrator, it also takes a terrific group of people who form the community.   I'd like to thank the many people who make this site so interesting, so useful, and so welcoming.  I'm not a programmer, just a software enthusiast, but I've always felt comfortable here.   :Thmbsup:

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 05:37 AM »
So take a moment to consider how DC has been a good thing in your life.  You might want to say thanks..
I'd definitely like to add my thanks to Mouser-- for this site, for the great example he has set as the person in charge, for the terrific software programs he has created, and for his unflagging help and patience.   But, as Mouser has often pointed out, for a site to be successful, it takes more than just a great administrator, it also takes a terrific group of people who form the community.   I'd like to thank the many people who make this site so interesting, so useful, and so welcoming.  I'm not a programmer, just a software enthusiast, but I've always felt comfortable here.   :Thmbsup:

DITTO!!   :) :up: :Thmbsup: :-*

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 08:56 AM »
I feel lucky that so many interesting characters have decided to call this place their home.

It's not every site that has its own Character Map:D
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 02:32 PM »
I feel lucky that so many interesting characters have decided to call this place their home.

It's not every site that has its own Character Map:D

It says 40hz is in Antartica?!
:tellme:

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 02:51 PM »
As much as I appreciate the sentiment, I don't think I have much to do with this being a nice place to hang out -- things just happened and we are stuck with each other.. I feel lucky that so many interesting characters have decided to call this place their home.

There's a lot to be said for creating a welcoming place that can attract - and hold the interest of - so many interesting and talented people.  It's not pure coincidence.

I haven't progressed in improving the site to a new content management system and that there are still some very rough edges on the site

You can say that, but I constantly visit forums that are so... how to describe it... primitive and awkward for handling even basic forum-type tasks, that I am always glad to be back here.  (Which I am, every day, in contrast to most other places I could spend time!)

So - thanks very much!!
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 03:26 PM »
I don't think I have much to do with this being a nice place to hang out

Think most of us would disagree.  You started it, you made it comfortable, you made it a place to collect a rather diverse membership.  Yeah, it may have some rough edges - what site/forum doesn't? - but you're working on that.  Perhaps not as expeditiously as you would prefer, and perhaps you get brain-locked from time to time (don't we all?),  but it's still your baby, your brain-child, and you are working on educating it.  Just accept the accolades and keep on keepin' on.

:Thmbsup: :up: :Thmbsup:

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 07:35 PM »

Totally called this one.  ;D

I haven't felt like i've lived up to DC lately -- that I haven't progressed in improving the site to a new content management system and that there are still some very rough edges on the site -- i will try to do better as we move forward.

If this is you letting us down, keep it up!   :Thmbsup:

Peace.  8)
Insert Brilliant Sig line here