ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

'Home' and 'End' and 'FN'.

<< < (5/7) > >>

pilgrim:
Here, I believe: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=34948-skwire (May 16, 2013, 09:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you.

tomos,

I had found some similar combinations myself but they only worked on a full size keyboard.

I had just found some links myself:
http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/commands/Send.htm
http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/appendix/SendKeys.htm Not my cup of tea.

Strangely enough it was this link that gave me a better understanding of what actually happens:
http://retired.beyondlogic.org/keyboard/keybrd.htm

If I use AHK I would need to compile it as it's not installed on the Netbook.
While the keyboard and the OS is different I am going on the assumption that the end command should be the same on my PC, if not there's always plan B. ;D

IainB,

Thanks, I'll have a look at TapTap.

Note: The Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools are not supported on 64-bit platforms.
--- End quote ---

I came across this when I was doing something else and I found some of the files it contained did work on x64 but most did not.

All I need now is the time to go through everything. :)

tomos:
While the keyboard and the OS is different I am going on the assumption that the end command should be the same on my PC...-pilgrim (May 16, 2013, 10:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm only a beginner myself pilgrim,  but I suspect this might not be the case -
especially as you say -
"I had found some similar combinations myself but they only worked on a full size keyboard"

(Isnt "installing" AHK easy to do anyway - simply unzip and run?)

~~~~~~~~~~~

@Iain - many thanks for the info and tips :Thmbsup:

evamaria:
From that beyondlogic (haha!) link: "The IBM keyboard you most probably have sitting in front of you, sends scan codes to your computer. The scan codes tell your Keyboard Bios, what keys you have pressed or released." Call me a pain in the a** but that's rubbish: Either it sends the scan code to the computer, or it sends them to the kb bios (which is in the kb), or more probably, the key sends 0/1 to the kb bios, which then sends scancodes... WHERE? Hence my question above how all this is really going - and then, even those old round-pin keyboards send other things than usb keyboards, and on and on... So the question remains, how is it processed? (A flowchart would be welcome!) ;-) And why there isn't any individual kb layout made available within the Win system, without all those transposition needs? As said, call me... beyondlogic, this made my day, though!

Oh, I forgot something: All those scan codes on the beyondlogic site are rubbish, for any use with AHK - you must get them by the AHK means explained in the tutorial (just try and compare); the same observation applies to any scan code tables for more modern keyboards - so that's another question: Why 3 tools give 3 different scan codes for the same key on the same kb? (I tried, and I'm positive about it.)

pilgrim:
(Isnt "installing" AHK easy to do anyway - simply unzip and run?)-tomos (May 16, 2013, 11:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am trying to avoid adding any extra software to my Netbook and curbing a previously held bad habit at the same time.
My old PC before it died had several hundred programs installed, I have not checked the Netbook recently but even after some pruning not so long ago it must be 150+.
I have just checked my new PC and between the 2 Program Files folders there are 223 programs and that doesn't include software installed on two other partitions.

My name is Pilgrim and I am a software addict but with patience and understanding from my friends and with God's help I will get through this one day at a time.
--- End quote ---

Now where was I?  Oh yes -

From that beyondlogic (haha!) link: "The IBM keyboard you most probably have sitting in front of you, sends scan codes to your computer. The scan codes tell your Keyboard Bios, what keys you have pressed or released." Call me a pain in the a** but that's rubbish: Either it sends the scan code to the computer, or it sends them to the kb bios (which is in the kb), or more probably, the key sends 0/1 to the kb bios, which then sends scancodes... WHERE? Hence my question above how all this is really going - and then, even those old round-pin keyboards send other things than usb keyboards, and on and on... So the question remains, how is it processed? (A flowchart would be welcome!) ;-) And why there isn't any individual kb layout made available within the Win system, without all those transposition needs? As said, call me... beyondlogic, this made my day, though!

Oh, I forgot something: All those scan codes on the beyondlogic site are rubbish, for any use with AHK - you must get them by the AHK means explained in the tutorial (just try and compare); the same observation applies to any scan code tables for more modern keyboards - so that's another question: Why 3 tools give 3 different scan codes for the same key on the same kb? (I tried, and I'm positive about it.)-evamaria (May 16, 2013, 05:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have no idea of the veracity of the information on that site it was the circuit diagram that interested me and from there I looked up the Data Sheet for that IC although I realise there many different ones used for the same job.
It is the output from such a chip that I would like to pin down in terms of both code and destination.

Stoic Joker:
But I very much hope that some expert here could give an answer WHY there is not a single such program that that just intercepts the pressings of 1 or 2 specific keys, then sends particular scancodes - because technically, this should be possible, and with additional keys, it is. So from a logical point of view, some spcified keys should be taken OUT of this automatic processing of all keys present (by what Windows routine?), and be processed then by tiny, particular software just working for these keys that without this particular treatment would be "dead" now.-evamaria (May 16, 2013, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hotkeys come in two flavors, application hotkeys and (registered with the Windows shell) system global hotkeys. So unless you're planning to write a driver for extremely low level access to the keyboard input, you're going to be looking at hooking into one of the myriad of message loops that comprise Windows. When you hook into a loop you have to either handle or pass on (to the next hook) any and everything that comes to you. So while you can filter out only specific keys to respond to...you must at the very least pass the unwanted keys to the next hook. Otherwise nobody handles the key press...and that sort of behavior tends to make users very cranky.

I register and use configurable system global hotkeys in a program called T-Clock. So if you want an example of how the code is/can be done (assuming you can contend with pure C) you can download the complete source from my web site: http://www.stoicjoker.com/TClock/Download.php

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version