ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Every pdf document its own pdf viewer style?!

<< < (2/2)

evamaria:
When you set the zoom to a value slightly less than "windows height", pgdn will jump from page to page even though the "scroll" setting is "on"; so this setting is of real value only (and then you need to fiddle with it) whenever the (necessary) zoom value is bigger (meaning the original font being too small) than a value that would allow for viewing one whole page per screen.  There is no such preset "windows height" value, though, so you have to click on the "-" button several times in order to get there, and then perhaps even enter some intermediate value in order to use a max of the available height, meaning if the value 65% gives away some 1 or 2 cm in height, you have to set it to 65 or 67%, perhaps, in order to make it "screen height" (and have the biggest possible characters in this "one page one screen" view), so there is a lot of fiddling around here.

In photo viewers, this would be totally unacceptable; of course they almost all have a setting "automaticalle resize to window height", but which seems to be blatantly absent from Adobe viewer.

Hence my question if and which alternative viewers do this better; surprisingly, there has been a lot of discussions of additional features of alternative viewers, meaning "what do they do else, besides and above just displaying", but there has never been any discussion, of my knowlege, with regards to the CORE features of a viewer, meaning the quality of display, both in visual quality and in ease of use, and of course in speed of display and speed of search.

Some people withholding their specific knowledge here? ;-)

Tinman57:

Adobe has always had too many problems, especially security problems.  I've experimented with several .pdf readers and the one that I took a liking to was PdfXchangeViewer.  Lots of bells and whistles, opens in a flash either in your browser or as an external viewer as I have mine set.

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/downloads/

tomos:
I've experimented with several .pdf readers and the one that I took a liking to was PdfXchangeViewer.  Lots of bells and whistles, opens in a flash either in your browser or as an external viewer as I have mine set.

-Tinman57 (May 15, 2013, 06:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

there is a portable version there too :up:
It used have almost no keyboard shortcuts but has improved a lot that way. I last used version 2.5 - it's at over 3 now.
Should be easy enough to test...

Stoic Joker:
  Adobe has always had too many problems, especially security problems.  I've experimented with several .pdf readers and the one that I took a liking to was PdfXchangeViewer.  Lots of bells and whistles, opens in a flash either in your browser or as an external viewer as I have mine set.

-Tinman57 (May 15, 2013, 06:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've switched several clients over to PDF-XChange Viewer because Adobe's Acrobat/Reader kept crashing their practice management software (AmazingCharts). It's smaller, faster, and a hell of a lot more stable. Only down side is you have to watch their installer due to the bundled (opt-out) "funware".

tomos:
This is kind of off-topic but vaguely related so I'll post anyway:

I rediscovered this AHK script by dc member Nod5 - it's aimed at if you use one Reader for viewing and a different one for editing. Hotkey opens current file in the other Reader. I often use it simply to open two instances of the same file and look at different pages.

This version is for Adobe Reader/ PDF-Xchange:
within Adobe Reader, pressing F12 will open current file in PDF-xchange Reader

--- Code: Autohotkey ---; ==================================; ChangePDFreader.AHK; with PDF open in Adobe Reader, it opens it in PDF-Xchange viewer via F12; with many thanks to Nod5 - donationcoder.com; ==================================;#IfWinActive, ahk_class AcrobatSDIWindowF12::send ^d  ;open file propertieswinwaitactive, Document PropertiesControlGetText, xname, Static2, Document PropertiesControlGetText, xpath, Static18, Document Propertiessend {esc}ifexist %xpath%%xname% run C:\[!!!CORRECT PATH HERE!!!]\PDFXchange\PDFXCview.exe "%xpath%%xname%"return#IfWinActive;; ==================================
it works in Adobe Reader X (dunno about XI)
source (dc)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version