ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Proofed! Microsoft is actively scanning Skype traffic and uses the data

<< < (2/3) > >>

JoTo:
Hmmm, seems Jibz had a lot of coffee lately. He is sooooo creative in finding good points and samples i never thought of.  ;D

Greetings
JoTo

f0dder:
According to ZDNet, only HTTP HEAD requests are sent (i.e., the page itself isn't actually fetched, only meta-information is returned) - and you'd have to be dealing with a REALLY retarded site to trigger any actions (but OK, there's plenty of sites retarded enough to trigger non-idempotent actions even on GET).

There's also this piece in the article:
Update: And contrary to heise Security's assertion, I found many examples of plain HTTP links that had been scanned by SmartScreen.
--- End quote ---

So, that leads me to another quote:
You can put that tinfoil hat away, at least for now.
--- End quote ---

Anyway, you obviously aren't discussing anything sensitive using a proprietary IM protocol, just like you don't discuss those things over facebook, plaintext email, and anything non-HTTPS... right? Oh, and this whole thing is pretty much a non-issue anyway, considering you've agreed to the TOS which means your messages are stored for some random period of time on Skype's servers. Not that even the TOS would matter, patriot act and all.

Stoic Joker:
...So you're saying I shouldn't (live) Tweet about tomorrow's bank robbery for at least a week then?

:D

app103:
When you consider that a lot of businesses are using Skype for communications between employees, handling their customer service, etc., and could be handling data that is supposed to be confidential, subject to NDA's, etc. this is not good.

Stoic Joker:
When you consider that a lot of businesses are using Skype for communications between employees, handling their customer service, etc., and could be handling data that is supposed to be confidential, subject to NDA's, etc. this is not good.-app103 (May 16, 2013, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Outside the rather brilliant sarcasm, I'm pretty sure that was f0dder's point. I've seen tons of different companies that use Yahoo Messenger for *FacePalm* "Internal Messaging"..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version