ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SSD's - How They Work Plus Tips

<< < (8/10) > >>

barney:
I'll wait until they get all the bugs worked out
-Tinman57 (June 02, 2013, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Gonna be a looooonnngg wait.  Bugs exist.  Period.  Most every bug fix I've ever seen had its own crop of [new] bugs.

I never really liked being a beta tester, especially for hardware....   :D
-Tinman57 (June 02, 2013, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, but you don that mantle every time you power up a PC or a mobile phone, start a vehicle, use an appliance, ...,  :P.

Mark0:
I too would never go back to not having an SSD. There's simply no comparision.

phitsc:
There's another related article in one of the more recent editions of Communication of the ACM:

http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2463636

The author postulates that SSDs could both be made more reliable and more performant (*) if there was a file system specifically targeting the characteristics of SSDs. The only SSD-related command current file systems support is TRIM, which marks a region as 'no longer in use', and which looses its effectiveness as an SSD gets near to full.

It seems to be a chicken-and-egg problem though: no one will make an SSD-specific file systems because current SSDs don't offer an SSD-related API (appart from TRIM). And no one will make an SSD-specific API because there are no file systems that would make use of it.

(*) that doesn't seem to be an English word?

wraith808:
Performant is not an old word.  So until it is included in the standard staid record of the English (and there is a periodic time that the dictionaries update), you won't find it in standard dictionaries.  A good blog post on this is here.  However, it is in our vernacular.  Our language just has to catch up.

phitsc:
Ah, that's interesting. Thanks wraith808! (thanks also for vernacular: never heard that one before ;) )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version