ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SSD's - How They Work Plus Tips

<< < (6/10) > >>

johnk:
Thanks for that, pilgrim. I'm also surprised at the level of reservations about SSD in this thread. From everything I've read, I think Mark0 is right in that most problems are down to faulty controllers/firmware. You need to do your research and buy with care.

It's common for people who have switched to SSD to say that it's the biggest single performance improvement they have made to their computer. I'd agree with that. To me, any marginal increase in the risk of disk death is more than worth it. But of course I never encourage anyone to switch, because if you did and they subsequently lost any data...

PS: just upgraded my main PC from a 64GB SSD system disk to a 250GB SSD. I will move the 64GB disk to one of my other systems.

pilgrim:
You need to do your research and buy with care.
--- End quote ---

I spent nearly 2 months looking into parts for my newest PC before I ordered anything.
I wasn't certain to begin with that I would get an SSD, in the end it came down to Corsair or Crucial, as I was going for their RAM I settled for Corsair.

f0dder:
From everything I've read, I think Mark0 is right in that most problems are down to faulty controllers/firmware.-johnk (May 29, 2013, 08:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's my experience as well, from my limited sampling size (two SSDs of my own, and a friends).

You need to do your research and buy with care.-johnk (May 29, 2013, 08:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
What's even more important is a solid backup plan. Even enterprise-grade drives fail without notice (my X25-E certainly did).

It's common for people who have switched to SSD to say that it's the biggest single performance improvement they have made to their computer. I'd agree with that. To me, any marginal increase in the risk of disk death is more than worth it. But of course I never encourage anyone to switch, because if you did and they subsequently lost any data...

PS: just upgraded my main PC from a 64GB SSD system disk to a 250GB SSD. I will move the 64GB disk to one of my other systems.

Dormouse:
My 64GB SSD is getting fairly full - so I'm looking at 256GB(ish) and like others will use the old one elsewhere.
There's no question that it is the biggest performance improvement I have ever made. Also the problems with length of life are irrelevant since they last long enough for my upgrade cycle to kick in (I admit that has got quite lengthy now for other components though - long gone are the days when a new computer was needed every 3 years). Agree with the need for a good backup strategy.

Jibz:
I agree with what f0dder and others have said. I think perhaps the first generations of SSD had issues with wear, but the current ones (third generation I think?) have things in place to handle that and usually break other places.

And the performance gain is big, just make sure you backup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version