ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SSD's - How They Work Plus Tips

<< < (2/10) > >>

Stoic Joker:
that sounds like a reasonable statement to me-mouser (May 14, 2013, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Me too ... But I'm not a hardware guy either. I was under the impression that (seek time being roughly fixed) latency was reduced by the higher spindle rates...which resulted in faster access times.

phitsc:
There was quite a good intro to how SSDs work in Communications of the ACM recently called 'Anatomy of a Solid-State Drive'. While in my memory the article looked nicer (i.e. nicer layout), I think the contents is identical to this one:

http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2385276

40hz:
f0dder can you elaborate -- that sounds like a reasonable statement to me -- though i am an admitted newbie when it comes to hardware.
-mouser (May 14, 2013, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

that sounds like a reasonable statement to me-mouser (May 14, 2013, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Me too ... But I'm not a hardware guy either. I was under the impression that (seek time being roughly fixed) latency was reduced by the higher spindle rates...which resulted in faster access times.
-Stoic Joker (May 14, 2013, 02:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's not so much he's wrong about 10,000 RPM being faster than 5400RPM - depending on what is meant by "faster.". But it's a mistake to simply equate raw spindle speed and cache size with disk performance, which is what he seems to be implying.

Partitioning, I/O  distribution on the disk, I/O bus width, cluster size, filesystem(s) used, and several other factors have a much more direct and measurable effect on overall performance than just the spindle speed or cache size.

Generally, the number of physical R/Ws per second and the transfer capacity in MB per second are a much more significant determinant of overall drive performance. And that is mostly achieved by the design of the controller, which is usually the single most critical part of the disk's hardware chain. And also why some slower spinning 'enterprise' drives can outperform much faster spinning 'consumer' grade desktop disks.

f0dder:
f0dder can you elaborate -- that sounds like a reasonable statement to me -- though i am an admitted newbie when it comes to hardware.-mouser (May 14, 2013, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
Platter data density.

What will deliver the highest throughput - "something" at 7200rpm, or twice the data density at 5400rpm?

wraith808:
Platter data density.
-f0dder (May 14, 2013, 03:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Also known as Areal Density.  Old, but good article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/1tb-hdd-storage,2563.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version