ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SSD's - How They Work Plus Tips

<< < (7/10) > >>

Tinman57:
I agree with what f0dder and others have said. I think perhaps the first generations of SSD had issues with wear, but the current ones (third generation I think?) have things in place to handle that and usually break other places.

And the performance gain is big, just make sure you backup.  -Jibz (May 31, 2013, 01:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Whether the SSD breaks, or the controller breaks, BROKE IS BROKE!   :o  Isn't the controller built into the SSD?  Can the built-in controller be swapped out without having to send it to the factory?  Can you even find a replacement built-in controller?

[Inquiring minds want to know...]   :P

Mark0:
I think the main difference is that problems arise not because of some intrinsics problems of the technology, but more as an effect of some not very good implementations.

f0dder:
Whether the SSD breaks, or the controller breaks, BROKE IS BROKE!   :o-Tinman57 (June 01, 2013, 05:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sure - but the distinction is important nonetheless; if the drives died from erase-cycle wear & tear, you'd have a decent idea when you could expect the drive to die... heck, you should be able to get a pretty precise idea from looking at SMART data. But when it's a firmware bug or a controller that fries without warning?

Isn't the controller built into the SSD?  Can the built-in controller be swapped out without having to send it to the factory?  Can you even find a replacement built-in controller?-Tinman57 (June 01, 2013, 05:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
Probably not - here's a few snaps of my dead X25-E SSD.

Tinman57:
Whether the SSD breaks, or the controller breaks, BROKE IS BROKE!   :o-Tinman57 (June 01, 2013, 05:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sure - but the distinction is important nonetheless; if the drives died from erase-cycle wear & tear, you'd have a decent idea when you could expect the drive to die... heck, you should be able to get a pretty precise idea from looking at SMART data. But when it's a firmware bug or a controller that fries without warning?

Isn't the controller built into the SSD?  Can the built-in controller be swapped out without having to send it to the factory?  Can you even find a replacement built-in controller?-Tinman57 (June 01, 2013, 05:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
Probably not - here's a few snaps of my dead X25-E SSD. -f0dder (June 02, 2013, 04:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well then, that pretty much sums it up for me, SSD's ain't worth the risk.  I'll wait until they get all the bugs worked out and make advancements in the technology.  I never really liked being a beta tester, especially for hardware....   :D

f0dder:
SSD's ain't worth the risk.-Tinman57 (June 02, 2013, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Oh, but they are - they definitely are. I'm not going back to HDDs for my OS+Applications drive. And you ought to have a working backup setup anyway, so...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version