ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SSD's - How They Work Plus Tips

<< < (4/10) > >>

Tinman57:
  No matter how you look at it, SSD's have a higher failure rate than hard drives, and until they get that problem fixed, I'll be sticking with my 7200 RPM drive......

Stoic Joker:
  No matter how you look at it, SSD's have a higher failure rate than hard drives, and until they get that problem fixed, I'll be sticking with my 7200 RPM drive......-Tinman57 (May 14, 2013, 08:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Amen to that!

@40hz - I hear ya man, I spent an absolutely insane amount of time agonizing over which way to do the arrays (IOPS...) on the new Hyper-V Data Center. Yes every time I called (HP) the distributer's support line I got a different guy with a different school of thought as I diced between RAID5 vs. 10 (I was trying to get away from 5 due to previous discussions - Yet nobody agreed). I ended up with dual 8 disc hot-swap controllers; mirrored set of 15,000RPM SAS drives for the host OS, and the guests all sit on an 8 disk 7200RPM Nearline SATA RAID 5 array. The system is stunningly fast, and I haven't seen the thread queue even get to 1 yet with 12 systems running on it.

40hz:
I ended up with dual 8 disc hot-swap controllers; mirrored set of 15,000RPM SAS drives for the host OS, and the guests all sit on an 8 disk 7200RPM Nearline SATA RAID 5 array.
-Stoic Joker (May 14, 2013, 10:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Awesome! Muy macho...I like. :Thmbsup:

The system is stunningly fast, and I haven't seen the thread queue even get to 1 yet with 12 systems running on it.
--- End quote ---

Stunningly fast? Yeah...ya think? ;D ;)

Like I said: awesome.

40hz:
  No matter how you look at it, SSD's have a higher failure rate than hard drives, and until they get that problem fixed, I'll be sticking with my 7200 RPM drive......
-Tinman57 (May 14, 2013, 08:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. There is that little problem...

Probably the main reason why I still shy away from them unless a client insists on getting one.

If they do opt for an SSD however, I'll always set up a chron job to image of the SSD over to a standard hard drive at least once every 24 hours. With 1-2TB SATA drive sizes, imaging the SSD system drive hardly puts a dent on the available disk space.

This way, when the fancy SSD ultimately shuffles off to Buffalo, all it takes is a drive swap, a boot from a USB key or CD, a few questions answered, and the SSD owner is back in business.

Better them than me. I'll wait a bit longer before I use them in any production environment I make the decisions for. To me, the extra speed is just not worth the reliability trade-offs at this stage of the game.

Maybe next year... 8)

johnk:
-Tinman57 (May 14, 2013, 08:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
I swapped to an SSD for my system drive about a year ago, and couldn't go back to a hard disk. The increased speed is worth it, to me. Although I used many of eleman's tips when I first installed the SSD, I recently moved my browser cache to the SSD to speed up browsing. I'm willing to take the risk of shortening the SSD's life for the speed it brings. The SSD is imaged regularly and all important data lives on hard disks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version