ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best method for a dead simple web site?

<< < (5/8) > >>

dr_andus:
If you go with wordpress.com or Blogger, there is a certain amount of lock-in that occurs, even if you use your own domain name with it. You'll never get a copy of that database for moving or restoring your site, if anything happens to it, or if you run out of the allowed storage space.
-app103 (May 28, 2013, 01:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

With Wordpress.com you can at least

export your posts, pages, comments, categories, and tags; uploads and images may need to be manually transferred to the new blog.
--- End quote ---

Self-hosting sounds like more work to me  ;)

wraith808:
With Wordpress.com you can at least

export your posts, pages, comments, categories, and tags; uploads and images may need to be manually transferred to the new blog.
--- End quote ---

-dr_andus (May 28, 2013, 04:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's actually not... .and not as daunting as it may first appear.  And you definitely get a *lot* more flexibility for the effort.  If you're looking into doing it, I'd suggest taking a look at one of the links I posted earlier- you'll see it's quite easy.

barney:
--- End quote ---

Only downside to self-hosting is security issues:  you have to manage that.  But, then, that's true of any Website, no?

Otherwise, you have complete control.  And if you go with WordPress - strongly recommended previously - you can pick and choose themes and layouts, many of which are free, a few of which are paid.  Or, if so inclined, you could roll your own theme.  As mentioned, Windows Live Writer is a beautiful product for adding content, and there's a Linux equivalent (the name of which I cannot recall) if you're using that OS.  There's also an equivalent for OSX, but never had occasion to use it, not familiar with it.

The only real advantage to, say, WordPress.com, is automated security updates, but that can sometimes break your site. 

All things considered, you'd prolly be much happier self-hosting.

dr_andus:
--- End quote ---

Only downside to self-hosting is security issues:  you have to manage that.
-barney (May 28, 2013, 07:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had the OP's best interests in mind: how to get your computer illiterate wife off your back, sorry, make her more independent  ;) And surely it must be less hassle to just select a log-on and password and a theme on Wordpress.com, then to have to get into the whole business of downloading Wordpress, getting server space, uploading it, installing it, and then regularly having to update it (however much that appeals to DoCo's techie audience  ;D). It's just more work.

wraith808:
Actually, speaking from experience, in the short run wordpress.com is less work, but in the long run, it's way more work, and way more hassle.

As she visits other wordpress sites and sees the cool things that they have, or her needs evolve, you're going to be hampered, nickeled and dimed, and restricted by wordpress.com.  With your own site, not so much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version