ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Strange Pyramid

<< < (5/6) > >>

Tinman57:
We're all just figuring out this stuff as we go I'm afraid..

No one's saying you're the bad guy -- we're all the guinea pigs here making mistakes and trying to come up with better ways to do things.
-mouser (May 19, 2013, 06:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

What needs to be done is a pinned "Rules" topic in the Main Area of the forums, a guideline for posting in DoCo's public forums.  If something comes up in the future you can just add to the list and give notice of changes so nobody misses it.  I would also add a "Please Read BEFORE posting" sign on the topic.
  This will hopefully alleviate any posting problems in the future....

mouser:
I agree we could use a "Forum Guidelines" topic somewhere.. Though there is so much info scattered everywhere on the forum and so much to read, i'm not sure we would benefit from yet another sticky post that people need to read before getting started.

Still, it's an excellent idea to have a thread somewhere where we can point people to when a question arises, that summarizes all guidelines..

I've started one here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=34981

barney:
I dunno.  It's difficult, at best, to set up such guidelines.  It requires either a didactic attitude or a degree of prescience that few of us are lucky enough to possess.  It's easy to say, for instance, no politics or no religion, but what seems political to others may not seem political to me.  Religion is even worse, since that can vary within particular religious groups, much less from culture to culture.  At best, be polite might be specified, but other folk have a different idea of what polite might be than my interpretation.  Maybe don't be confrontational?  But that would pretty much ban significant areas of discussion.  Other than very broad/general suggestions - which I thimk exist, at least in the general Living Room, Basement and like designations, hard and fast rules tend to limit conversation and chase folk away.

Just my opinion, of course.  I've been castigated (to my mind, at least at the time) a time or three, but I'm still here because this forum is one (1) of the very few that allows expression of differences without personal bias or discrimination.

:two:

kyrathaba:
I think a Guidelines sticky thread would be a good addition. When someone joins the forum, they should be forwarded to the Guidelines page first-thing.

I'm still here because this forum is one (1) of the very few that allows expression of differences without personal bias or discrimination.
--- End quote ---

I completely appreciate that comment, and I support free speech. I also, however, think that a web forum is like a public building. Is it smoking or non-smoking? Is loitering allowed. Is there a sign that says, Please use other door? Every environment has a culture that comes to be accepted because the majority of those in that environment support the expressions of that culture.

*Shrug* Just my 2 cents.

Tinman57:
I agree we could use a "Forum Guidelines" topic somewhere.. Though there is so much info scattered everywhere on the forum and so much to read, i'm not sure we would benefit from yet another sticky post that people need to read before getting started.

Still, it's an excellent idea to have a thread somewhere where we can point people to when a question arises, that summarizes all guidelines..

I've started one here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=34981
-mouser (May 20, 2013, 08:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Couple of other things that you mentioned to me a while back that's not in there.

1.  How many post of different subjects posted in a forum at one time?

2. Color codes?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version