ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft keyboard sticking keys

<< < (2/9) > >>

Tinman57:
  I use silicone spray on mine to keep them from binding.  Has worked for me for years without a problem.  But you really should wash it first.  It it's the type of keyboard that can't be separated from the electronic board, then use electronic cleaner to clean it first.

bit:

bit:

Tinman57:
How about dielectric grease? A thin smear on the sides of the rectangular plunger of each key to make it go more smoothly? The keyboard was balky from day one.

By the way, why don't they build them out of Teflon, or Teflon-S? Anyways, what about the dielectric grease? Or do you really like silicon spray better? -bit (May 15, 2013, 11:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Teflon would increase the cost, pure and simple...

I've never tried dielectric grease on a keyboard.  You just have to remember that anything that doesn't dry to a lubricant coating (film), like grease or oil, will attract dust and other nasties that find it's way into your keyboard.

40hz:
If the keyboard was balky from day one it's probably more because the keycaps and/or key posts are slightly bent, out of spec, or misaligned. That or the wells which they pass through are deformed or improperly manufactured. Lubrication won't fix that, and could possibly seep into things and cause additional problems down the line.

Whatever you use, just be sure it doesn't dissolve whatever they're using for the membrane or other contacts in the keyboard. The problem with that, however, is it usually won't happen right away. Some solvents and lubricants can take weeks or months before you experience a problem from them eating into or softening/hardening something enough to cause a failure.

For cleaning sticky contacts and keys, you could try a non-residue foaming contact cleaner available at Radio shack or an electronics supply store. But I'd be careful even with that.

When in doubt, compressed air  - or a 1-hour soak in distilled water, followed by a careful "blow out" with some compressed air, followed by a three or four day air dry - is still your safest and best bet. If that doesn't fix it, I'd suggest (as others have) you cut your losses and get a new keyboard if at all possible. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version