ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Internet Sales Tax Passed

<< < (2/6) > >>

40hz:
[/b] In my opinion, if what we're really concerned with is the tax remuneration, there's an easy way to deal with it.  The taxes should be collected for the state where the company is located.  Instead of a use tax, just make it a sales tax.  Charging for use of the item is just backwards, it's called a sales tax, and should be a sales tax if you're going to collect it.
-wraith808 (May 08, 2013, 06:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

My state agrees. They assess a "use" tax  you're supposed to pay - and call it that. But you file for sales and use taxes on the same forms. And both taxes use the exact same rates and rules. The only difference is in who (theoretically) actually remits the money to the state. Sales taxes are remitted by the seller. Use taxes by the buyer. Otherwise it's identical.

Maybe a better term  would be: commercial transaction tax? :P

Only be a matter of time before they bring back those so-called Fair-Trade laws too.

8)

wraith808:
Only be a matter of time before they bring back those so-called Fair-Trade laws too.
-40hz (May 08, 2013, 08:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

You kid... but hmmm...

Couldn't the taxes in the way that they are levied as use taxes be considered a reverse tariff?  I wouldn't doubt that is the way that we're going.  And since much of the economic recovery has been fueled by online sales (which is the other reason for the Act... to tap into this increase), and the economic recovery is still an ongoing process, it seems that the results have been predicted by history.

zridling:
But in the case of software, I'm rarely ever buying it, only licensing its use in a specifically limited way.

Republicans have been fighting since the first Clinton administration to get an internet sales tax. I guess Walmart.com is hurting Walmart sales, is that the argument?

wraith808:
Republicans have been fighting since the first Clinton administration to get an internet sales tax.
-zridling (May 08, 2013, 09:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was going to go there.  But I stopped at the NAFTA reference. :)

40hz:
Republicans have been fighting since the first Clinton administration to get an internet sales tax. I guess Walmart.com is hurting Walmart sales, is that the argument?
-zridling (May 08, 2013, 09:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe the states are hoping to cut into Big W's revenue enough that it can't so easily pay the penalty (under the new rules) for continuing to not provide health insurance coverage for its legion of retail employees. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version