ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Adobe drops the gauntlet - going forward it's cloud - or nothing.

<< < (10/12) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Another thought is:

Physical upgrade = new features and better be something useful otherwise users will skip it (esp. true of MS and Adobe).

Cloud solution = lots of money = minimal new development (what is the incentive when you have the market cornered and professionals by the short and curlies).

Over time I can't see MS or Adobe adding much to the feature set if the regular income is assured without any work. All those annoying developers expecting payment ... why bother.

Corel has pretty much taken this approach over the past decade with physical products and now their market share is down the toilet. With a bit of imagination and a few decent developers they could make a big comeback so long as they don't see dollar signs for cloud solutions.

In the short term I would guess people like Xara and some of the other photo editing titles will grab a chunk of the market for small companies and individuals that don't want a large regular outlay.

40hz:
Which does seem to confirm 40's idea that they are otherwise simply not interested in the amatuer public. I thought a lot of camera enthusiasts used Photoshop, but I guess they may have mostly moved on to Lightroom.
-tomos (May 09, 2013, 04:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Looking at Adobe's website they describe who the following products are "ideal" for:

Photoshop CS:

* Photographers
* Print designers
* Web designers
* Interactive designers
* Video professionals
Lightroom:

* Professional and amateur photographers
Photoshop Elements:

* Family memory keepers
* Photo enthusiasts
---------------------------------------------------

re: Adobe online authorization/activation

Actually...what Adobe requires to use CS doesn't look all that unreasonable to me. Apps are installed locally and can be used without a constant (or even frequent) Internet connection. Per Adobe's FAQ:

...Creative Cloud desktop applications (such as Photoshop and Illustrator) are installed directly on your computer, so you won't need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis.

You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days.  However, you'll be able to use products for 3 months (99 days) even if you're offline.

--- End quote ---

I don't personally consider that requirement to be all that unreasonable.

Be interesting to see what happens to Photoshop/Premier Elements however since to allow it's continued existence in a 'boxed' format flies in the face of several of the arguments being made for the changes in CS.

8)

tomos:
re: Adobe online authorization/activation

Actually...what Adobe requires to use CS doesn't look all that unreasonable to me. Apps are installed locally and can be used without a constant (or even frequent) Internet connection. Per Adobe's FAQ:

...Creative Cloud desktop applications (such as Photoshop and Illustrator) are installed directly on your computer, so you won't need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis.

You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days.  However, you'll be able to use products for 3 months (99 days) even if you're offline.

--- End quote ---

I don't personally consider that requirement to be all that unreasonable.
-40hz (May 09, 2013, 07:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've heard different experiences (described online) from people using CC over the last year. That could be bugginess in Adobe's implementation, but who cares - if it dont work, it dont work ...

In theory this move *could* be good for the product - e.g. if they started working on the crappy UI (I'm thinking of ai here, but others could surely also be improved) to make it more work-friendly, instead of constantly introducing features. I wont hold my breath though.

40hz:
I've heard different experiences (described online) from people using CC over the last year. That could be bugginess in Adobe's implementation, but who cares - if it dont work, it dont work ...
-tomos (May 09, 2013, 07:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agree. I've heard both positive and negative stories about the experience.

I just hope Adobe took into consideration that CS is pretty much what gets used everywhere. So they'll need to be looking beyond the USA and Western Europe's infrastructures when it comes to things like connection availability, link reliability and time lags for their authorization system. Because not all Internet experiences are the same.

Making accommodations for connection quality is not an insurmountable challenge. It's actually somewhat easy to implement as long as you're aware and plan for it. And that 99 day 'no connection' window seems to have taken that into consideration.

I'm also guessing they have made some provision for providing semi-permanent authorization tokens for things like government secure locations (satellite reconnaissance, military, etc.) that won't allow outside Internet connections over their LANs for obvious reasons.

-----------------------------

(Note: Speaking of international - who knows? Maybe we'll see a Linux version of CS now that China is thumbing it's nose at Microsoft and bedding with Canonical to create their own official state OS. When it comes to market potential, 1.33 billion Chinamen can't be ignored with impunity! )
 ;D

TaoPhoenix:
You know, I've been noticing that the media seems to insist that the benefits of subscription cloud services are "undeniable".  And I'm getting really annoyed by it.  Not because there are no benefits, there are.  But the way they say it, it makes it sound like the local installation does NOT have any benefits.  And those who don't understand the differences hear this and it seems like it is gaining momentum.
-superboyac (May 08, 2013, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, besides just "doing what they are told", you're on to something I have been noticing too. While Media has always been about promoting stuff, usually they were "somewhat informative" and a buyer could expect to learn something useful from a review.

However this push to the Cloud stuff has a "shrill" air as well as a "shill" air! It's because it's a theme that isn't as clearly in the buyer's court at all. But using the various psych principles, if some buyer sees "all these blogs agreeing" about it, they feel swamped and pushed into it.

But then later if this movement ever breaks, all that hot air just gets put in the museum of obsolete sales pitches and buried.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version