ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Adobe drops the gauntlet - going forward it's cloud - or nothing.

<< < (9/12) > >>

Stoic Joker:
u know, I've been noticing that the media seems to insist that the benefits of subscription cloud services are "undeniable".  And I'm getting really annoyed by it.  Not because there are no benefits, there are.  But the way they say it, it makes it sound like the local installation does NOT have any benefits.  And those who don't understand the differences hear this and it seems like it is gaining momentum.-superboyac (May 08, 2013, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

The media is behaving like any good lapdog and doing exactly what they're told. The one pivotally critical detail that the cloud shills miss/overlook/ignore is the simple fact that the internet does not exist as a singular thing. It is a ramshackle group of discontiguous networks that just-so-happen to share relatively well with their neighbors. but any break in the chain of resold (to the Nth power) services that comprise the sum total internet could quite easily cripple a company if it decided to have a hiccup either at the right time, or for a long enough time. I've already had a (client's) cloud provider claim that a problem had to be on my (our collective) end because they could access the servers (INTERNALLY!!!) just fine... Yet I'm looking right at a trace route report that clearly says that their up level provider just took a shit because that is exactly where all the packet movement stops!

I've already gone ballistic on the phone when one of the cloud sales drones made the mistake of telling me that their total downtime for the previous year was only 11 minutes. Because I don't give a flying :) what their down time is ... I need to ensure that everybody between point A, and point B stays just dandy so my company's down time doesn't spike us right into the toilet. Because if a drunk hits a pole up the street from me, and the local utility company doesn't get it fixed really soon... Guess what? My company is blind as a bat trying to function .. Regardless of whether or not the "cloud" is allegedly construed as being "up" (I'm still getting fisted).

Carol Haynes:
u know, I've been noticing that the media seems to insist that the benefits of subscription cloud services are "undeniable".  And I'm getting really annoyed by it.  Not because there are no benefits, there are.  But the way they say it, it makes it sound like the local installation does NOT have any benefits.  And those who don't understand the differences hear this and it seems like it is gaining momentum.-superboyac (May 08, 2013, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

The media is behaving like any good lapdog and doing exactly what they're told. The one pivotally critical detail that the cloud shills miss/overlook/ignore is the simple fact that the internet does not exist as a singular thing. It is a ramshackle group of discontiguous networks that just-so-happen to share relatively well with their neighbors. but any break in the chain of resold (to the Nth power) services that comprise the sum total internet could quite easily cripple a company if it decided to have a hiccup either at the right time, or for a long enough time. I've already had a (client's) cloud provider claim that a problem had to be on my (our collective) end because they could access the servers (INTERNALLY!!!) just fine... Yet I'm looking right at a trace route report that clearly says that their up level provider just took a shit because that is exactly where all the packet movement stops!

I've already gone ballistic on the phone when one of the cloud sales drones made the mistake of telling me that their total downtime for the previous year was only 11 minutes. Because I don't give a flying :) what their down time is ... I need to ensure that everybody between point A, and point B stays just dandy so my company's down time doesn't spike us right into the toilet. Because if a drunk hits a pole up the street from me, and the local utility company doesn't get it fixed really soon... Guess what? My company is blind as a bat trying to function .. Regardless of whether or not the "cloud" is allegedly construed as being "up" (I'm still getting fisted).
-Stoic Joker (May 08, 2013, 05:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Somewhat 'prosaically' put - but pretty damn accurate (fisting or not).

At the end of the day none of this stuff is about customers or cloud benefits or anything that matters to users  - it is all about assured and large revenue streams for US corporations. Corporation - business (extortion) as usual.

vlastimil:
A cloud solution has its benefits, especially when you are working on the same project from multiple devices or when multiple people must cooperate. But a cloud owned and managed by one company is no real cloud in my eyes. I am still waiting for the right cloud solution to emerge. A proper cloud should be distributed, kind of like freenet, but also fast. There should be multiple independent service providers selling disk space to backup and speed up access to your stored data. Setting up such a service should be a matter of installing an open source package on a computer with good internet connectivity. Data should be cached on end-user computers and the caching should be intelligent enough to predict what data the user would likely need next and download it from the cloud in advance. The cloud should work even if the connection to the whole internet is severed and only connections to local computers remain. If the data is on any of the local computers, it should be accessible.

When someone builds such cloud, I'll be a happy user and I'll integrate direct access to that could into all my software. No current solution comes close, not Dropbox, not Google Drive, not Adobe's cloud. They'll all become obsolete if/when this clouds becomes reality.

tomos:
[...]
-Stoic Joker (May 08, 2013, 05:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Somewhat 'prosaically' put - but pretty damn accurate (fisting or not).

At the end of the day none of this stuff is about customers or cloud benefits or anything that matters to users  - it is all about assured and large revenue streams for US corporations. Corporation - business (extortion) as usual.
-Carol Haynes (May 09, 2013, 04:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

Top comment on the original Register article:
-
Give me your money!

Not quite sure about Adobe's "cloud" branding. The software is exactly the same as before. It installs on your computer, the licence is locked to that computer unless you deauthorise it. The "cloud" appears to be just the way Adobe have worked out to ensure they extract money from users every month instead of those pesky people who refuse to upgrade their software every year,

Make no mistake, this is just a scheme to squeeze money out of the end users. They may as well brand it "Adobe remote wallet opening device".

--- End quote ---
http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/1815530

But there's also, as already said, the problem of bloat from trying to get people to upgrade every two years. (I know of a *lot* of professionals - individuals and small companies- who would only upgrade on average every second time, because the new features were of little interest to them.)
-
For Adobe, the reasoning behind this decision is simple. According to our sources, the company had long searched for ways to stabilize its revenue. Previously, it would receive bursts of income every two years with the latest Creative Suite release. Convincing users to upgrade was a daunting task that left an impact on product decisions.
--- End quote ---
(my emphasis:)
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/05/06/after-nearly-10-years-adobe-abandons-its-creative-suite-entirely-to-focus-on-creative-cloud/

Because of the Cloud monikor, I keep forgetting that it actually installs locally and needs to be activated.
Apparently it doesnt *always* need an internet connection, but it's a lottery how long it will last without one. Was reading a photographer yesterday, who was saying this was a disaster for him as he mostly works on the road, often with limited or no internet (sorry cant find the link now - may have been in comments somewhere).

FWIW they have made an exception for Lightroom...
-
The new lineup ... also includes the Lightroom photo management app—the only Creative Cloud offering that will continue as both a perpetual license and cloud subscription.
Why is Lightroom a special case? Because Adobe makes the distinction between professionals using software for their livelihood and enthusiasts who use it for fun.  “Lightroom is tricky because it falls in between," said Morris [Scott Morris, Adobe's senior marketing director]. "Lots of consumers use Lightroom, but it’s also used by pro photographers. So we’re treating it both ways."
--- End quote ---
http://www.macworld.com/article/2037034/adobe-scraps-software-licenses-in-favor-of-cloud-subscription-scheme-for-creative-suite-line.html
-
Which does seem to confirm 40's idea that they are otherwise simply not interested in the amatuer public. I thought a lot of camera enthusiasts used Photoshop, but I guess they may have mostly moved on to Lightroom.

Stoic Joker:
Data should be cached on end-user computers and the caching should be intelligent enough to predict what data the user would likely need next and download it from the cloud in advance. The cloud should work even if the connection to the whole internet is severed and only connections to local computers remain. If the data is on any of the local computers, it should be accessible.-vlastimil (May 09, 2013, 04:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Microsoft's Exchange Online offers a hybrid cloud option that does basically that. Local and remote systems work together to ensure the highest possible availability. So if the company internet goes down, the in-house staff still have access to the local Exchange server, and the road warriors have access to the cloud server. I'm actually toying with implementing an Exchange hybrid cloud solution here because we're jumping to Exchange 2013 as part of the Private Cloud services I'm setting up on our new rack system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version