ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Adobe drops the gauntlet - going forward it's cloud - or nothing.

<< < (8/12) > >>

f0dder:
How long do you think before someone produces copies with the activation and online check code stripped out or the activation period updated to 1000 years?-Carol Haynes (May 08, 2013, 08:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
That will work for now... but I expect them to begin moving more and more computations to the cloud within long. Just like there's big players trying to push internet-streamed gaming... it's a big wet dream not only to stop piracy, but perpetually berapereave sheepcustomers of cash on a monthly basis.

40hz:
perpetually berapereave sheepcustomers of cash on a monthly basis.
-f0dder (May 08, 2013, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Of necessity, I'm not especially lavish when it comes to spending. However, I'm also not so penny-wise as to become dollar foolish. I'd rather be mildly "fleeced" on a monthly basis and know the product will be around, and that I can get timely and professional support when I need it, than save a buck by ducking an upgrade. At least for apps I need in my business.

Thing is, I always see myself buying a capability - rather than a box or a service - when I 'buy' software.

I don't really care (as long as I can somehow afford it) whether software comes in a box or resides on the web when it comes to business use. I certainly prefer it be on my own machine and under my own control. But I've also pretty much given up on insisting on it since the commercial software market seems to be hell bent on moving away from personal computing and 'hard' products. The service model is definitely where it's all gonna be going.

So be it.

If that's the deal, I can either learn to live with it - or walk away - as Adobe seems to be saying. If I really truly need CS, or one of its packages, I guess I'll learn to live with it.

But if so, I also will be revising my expectations and focus. Because if this is software as a service, that service had bloody better well be there when I go to use it.

One thing I hope Adobe realizes, and will commit to, is: "No bad surprises." Because they will soon learn that people are more forgiving of flaky products than they are of poor service performance if they don't. Nobody is going to want to hear about unexpected network loads, server issues, etc. Because (drumroll please!) "We're paying YOU good money for YOUR service!"

So in this brave new world of eternal revenue streams, the service (in every sense of the word) had better be there. And with no apology or excuses.

Hear that  Microsoft? Adobe? And especially you Intuit!

8)

40hz:
In support of one of my earlier predictions, this comment from MS Office Group spokesman Clint Patterson's blog where he talks about Adobe's recent move and where Microsoft currently stands on doing the same:

Industry reaction is mixed. Some pundits point to this as the future, others explore challenges, and a few wonder if Office is next.

Like Adobe, we think subscription software-as-a-service is the future. The benefits to consumers are huge. Subscribers are always up-to-date. They get the latest and most complete applications.  They can use subscriptions across the multitude of devices people use today. Web services like SkyDrive and applications like Skype are also more easily integrated with subscription services, like the new Office 365 Home Premium.

However, unlike Adobe, we think people's shift from packaged software to subscription services will take time. Within a decade, we think everyone will choose to subscribe because the benefits are undeniable.
--- End quote ---

So ok...maybe it's not gonna be today or tomorrow for Microsoft. But it's coming eventually. :huh:

superboyac:
You know, I've been noticing that the media seems to insist that the benefits of subscription cloud services are "undeniable".  And I'm getting really annoyed by it.  Not because there are no benefits, there are.  But the way they say it, it makes it sound like the local installation does NOT have any benefits.  And those who don't understand the differences hear this and it seems like it is gaining momentum.

They both have benefits.  I'd argue that an individual user would most likely prefer the benefits of a local install vs. a cloud service.  I wish they would just flat out say "we are doing this mainly to combat piracy" don't confuse the issue.
This reminds me of a random story.  I'm playing pickup basketball, there are 11 people.  So one has to sit out.  You shoot free throws to see who gets to play.  I missed mine so I have to sit out.  The person who sits out automatically gets to play the next game, and the losing team's players shoot to see who gets to stay.

OK, so I'm sitting out, my buddy comes up to me and says "Don't worry, buddy!  You got the next game." and I get all pissy and respond "Yeah, I know I get the next game!  You don't have to tell me!  It's not like you're doing me a f---ing favor.  that's the rule, everyone knows that! !@#$!$"  Totally mean response.

But that's what cloud services are.  A company goes cloud to protect their product, possibly a very minor part of that decision was really based around benefits to the customer.  But when selling it publicly, they will obviously make it sound like it has everything to do with the customer. oy.

Stay positive!  ;)

40hz:
Stay positive!  ;)
-superboyac (May 08, 2013, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Won't! :P ;D

Problem is I've really had it with what's been going on of late in this industry of ours.

It's getting to the point where I'd be perfectly happy if I didn't have to look at another computer - other than a very simple single-board computer like a Beagleboard or R-Pi (gotta keep a text editor no matter what!) - ever again.

Seriously. I'm starting to feel like this guy:

Adobe drops the gauntlet - going forward it's cloud - or nothing.

I really am getting to that point. :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version