ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Adobe drops the gauntlet - going forward it's cloud - or nothing.

<< < (5/12) > >>

app103:
really not much use for average users in my opinion.
-rgdot (May 07, 2013, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree! I have gotten along my entire life without it, done plenty of photo editing, created tons of art, and saved more money than I can shake a stick at.  :D

vlastimil:
Well, let's hope that this move of Adobe will make the photo-retouching and image-editing segment less monotonous. It should be easier for Adobe competitors to convince people to switch when they can argue with saved money. Up until now, it was almost impossible to convince a Photoshop owner to switch, because he or she has already invested hundreds of dollars into Photoshop and switching meant more expenses. So,  :up:

Adobe likely realizes this, but they are either very self-confident or they see other benefits this change may bring them. Like lock-in in their cloud or much lower maintenance expenses. It must be a nightmare to support multiple versions of their software. After the switch, everyone is either using the latest version (or can be told to upgrade to fix a problem) or they are not a paying customer and not eligible to receive support.

40hz:
I'm hoping, that since a monthly subscription fee will now be feeding their coffers, that there will finally be a stop to endless "feature updates" and other useless nonsense. Maybe without the need to create faux "new" versions of products in order to encourage existing customers to part with additional money (for what can only be called "fully mature" products) we'll finally get some relief from feature bloat. And "breakthrough productivity innovations" like ribbon interfaces.

It's good to have a dream... :-\

Carol Haynes:
Actually in the long term this might be a big boost for Linux - for me one of the big draws of Windows platforms is Adobe's products - if (as is likely - either by design or by accident) the hard copy versions cease to function at some point there is no incentive for me to stay with Windows. MS Office is already looking pretty dead to me in the long term so why do I need to stay with Windows?

Shades:
Why would I pay for subscription if no new features were to be added? That would diminish my incentive to get a subscription.

Don't get me wrong, for a lot of (types of) software a subscription model would be beneficial for both user and company. Custom made software would be a good example.

For my intents, purposes and interests the Adobe products do not.

Not that long ago they did a nice thing with their CS2 (or was it 3?) product give-away and now they do this. Ah well, lets hope this move will make them see how the bottom of their "war chest" looks like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version