ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Adobe drops the gauntlet - going forward it's cloud - or nothing.

<< < (7/12) > >>

40hz:
Adobe will love the idea that nobody will ever be able to pirate Photoshop ever again. Everyone that wants to use it will have to pay for it, monthly.-https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29203.msg270859#msg270859
--- End quote ---

Another inch closer!

;)
-app103 (May 07, 2013, 10:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

The world has changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost. For none now live who remember it...

Yes indeed. Seems to be the emerging trend.

Not everybody will be able to do this initially. Most likely it will only be the big players with key titles that no longer have any meaningful competition. I'd guess that Microsoft Office and Intuit's Quicken and Quickbooks will be among the first to make the same move.

I'm also guessing Microsoft and Intuit will wait until to see how much pushback Adobe actually gets. (I'm predicting they'll get very little.)

Once Microsoft and Intuit switch, expect to see anybody who can afford a reliable authorization infrastructure to follow suit. And with all the inexpensive virtual hosting services out there, there won't be many businesses that can't.

I'm guessing that by mid-2014, most (if not all) of the major software packages will at least have an online subscription option available. And by 2015, will only be 'sold' that way.

This is a seismic shift Adobe has initiated for the entire software industry. Make no mistake about it. :tellme:

Stoic Joker:
I'm also guessing Microsoft and Intuit will wait until to see how much pushback Adobe actually gets. (I'm predicting they'll get very little.)-40hz (May 08, 2013, 06:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sadly, you're quite likely right...as there is already a pattern of sanctimonious posturing going on in he Register comments on the article posted above. High handed comments about it legally no big deal if you really have a valid legal license will quickly make people nervous about pushing too hard for fear of looking like a pirate.

Carol Haynes:
Adobe will love the idea that nobody will ever be able to pirate Photoshop ever again. Everyone that wants to use it will have to pay for it, monthly.-https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29203.msg270859#msg270859
--- End quote ---

Another inch closer!

;)
-app103 (May 07, 2013, 10:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

How long do you think before someone produces copies with the activation and online check code stripped out or the activation period updated to 1000 years?

If anyone thinks this will stop piracy they are not in the real world - this is a HUGE gauntlet to throw down to hackers and what's more some loyal customers who feel ripped off will contemplate using cracked software rather than be extorted on a monthly subscription.

People aren't totally stupid- they can do their sums! If you only use a product like PhotoShop and aren't interested in the rest of the suite Adobe's prices basically mean that you are buying the product over and over again every few months.

If you use a lot of CS products and are the kind of person who likes to keep software up to date Adobe Cloud is a no brainer at current prices - it is a lot cheaper than paying for regular updates. That's not to say Adobe won't hike prices once everyone is resigned to the Cloud coup.

Personally I am moving in the opposite direction. I want at least a couple of computer systems that do not connect to the internet at all and are used for specific tasks - for me Adobe products would be on one of those machines as I don'y want or need internet connectivity to edit video, audio or photographs - plus I want a DAW which needs to be as uncluttered with crap (and especially security products) as possible to work well.

40hz:
How long do you think before someone produces copies with the activation and online check code stripped out or the activation period updated to 1000 years?-Carol Haynes (May 08, 2013, 08:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Probably a month or two - but I don't think the casual pirate or copy "borrower" is their real concern. It's really not cost effective to actively pursue them. And Adobe knows it.

If anyone thinks this will stop piracy they are not in the real world - this is a HUGE gauntlet to throw down to hackers and what's more some loyal customers who feel ripped off will contemplate using cracked software rather than be extorted on a monthly subscription.

--- End quote ---

True. But no business or professional in their right mind would since the downside far outweigh the benefits.

Don't know if they do this in the UK , but I'm seeing more and more contracts over here that require the vendor assert that it has legal rights to all resources used in the performance of the contract. It's mostly put in there for things like artwork. But companies have also argued it applies to things beyond simple IP (which software increasingly claims to be) since they could be accused of abetting an illegal activity by availing themselves of its benefits while turning a blind eye to any license violations on the part of the supplier.

So no, pissed off or not, I can't really see too many people who use CS to make money trying to do an end run around Adobe. At least in the markets Adobe is interested in serving.

I think this may actually be less about personal paranoia, and more about corporate IT and management just wanting to get out from under the whole license and compliance issue once and for all. Most businesses are pretty good about paying for the software they use. Where they're terrible is in keeping track of the licenses they already bought. These software services get them out from under it.

It also eases deployment and updates (as long as you always want the latest version - which is not always the case) and provides flex since most of these services seem to have realized "no-contract" is definitely the way to the purchase department's heart.

For medium and large businesses with heavy duty connections to the Internet, this sort of deal is very compelling. Great for tax purposes (no "first year expensing" nonsense and related considerations) since it's a pure expense item. And it's flexible. Just add or drop licenses as needed. Which is great for temporary employees and interns working on short term projects. No more boxes and boxes of undeployed software sitting in storage after a project is finished. No chance of any "extra" copies being "liberated" either.

And did I mention there's no more license compliance worries yet?

No. Much as it galls me what this represents politically and philosophically, it still makes pretty good business sense doing things this way.

Businesses are already familiar with renting and outsourcing. And they never did like all those complex (thank you Microsoft!) site contracts, software "assurance" programs and similar deals they were offered. This can all be presented as "outsourcing your business' software holdings" and it will virtually sell itself. Especially if there's no contract commitment.

What this means for the one-off purchaser or home user is anybody's guess. But it's not like anybody is asking them. Adobe and Microsoft would rather not deal with individuals and small organizations with no in-house expertise. That can quickly become a support nightmare and money-losing proposition, as anybody who ever tried to provide "tech support" to very small businesses or individuals invariably discovers.

Especially since so much of that market doesn't need "support" so much as it needs basic training in the use of the product. Training they're frequently unwilling to invest in. ("Hey, I don't need to know all that! I just need you to show me how to do this.") And forget about actually doing any of the supplied tutorials.

Dunno...maybe part of the motivation (beyond cash flow) is also to weed out the casual and amateur users when it comes to big complex products like CS. Their real market is corporations and design professionals. Maybe pissing off all those PITA "amateurs" is considered an unanticipated benefit?
 8)

cranioscopical:
Maybe pissing off all those PITA "amateurs" is considered an unanticipated benefit?
-40hz (May 08, 2013, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Good to know I'll still be of some benefit to somebody  ;D  ;D  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version