ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Adobe drops the gauntlet - going forward it's cloud - or nothing.

(1/12) > >>

40hz:
Well, I was wondering when one of the big players was going to tell its customer base to either join them up in the cloud, or find something else to use.

And today it happened. Adobe has announced that, going forward, the Adobe CS will be exclusively a cloud-based offering. The boxed retail set is to be no more. This from The Register:

Adobe kills Creative Suite – all future features online only

Demos hardware magic wand and Project Napoleon

By Iain Thomson in San Francisco •

Posted in Cloud, 6th May 2013 19:55 GMT

Adobe had been expected to demo Creative Suite 7 at its MAX conference down in smoky Los Angeles on Monday, but instead announced there'll be no more versions of its boxed software and that the Creative Suite brand will cease to exist. All CS apps updates will only be added to its Creative Cloud suite, and Adobe showed off some new tools to tempt its software stick-in-the-muds online.

"We believe that we're now collectively hitting a tipping point where the web is now ready for a generation of tools and services that help build the future of HTML5, CSS, and JavaScript web," said David Wadhwani, general manager of Adobe's digital media business unit, at the MAX keynote.

The current system of duplicating changes made in the Creative Suite and Creative Cloud products was wasteful and unproductive, he explained, and while existing boxed-software owners will still be supported, they won't be getting any more upgrades from Adobe.

<more>
--- End quote ---

It will be interesting to see how long it takes before Microsoft follows suit with Office.

Quoting Adobe later in the article, The Register provided these two very telling sentences:

"We believe that Creative Cloud will have a larger impact on the creative world than anything else we've done over the past three decades," Adobe said in a letter to customers. "It is our single highest priority to enable deep integration between our tools and services"
--- End quote ---

Yeah. They sure got that part right. :tellme:

Hmm...their highest priority is to enable deep integration between our tools and services huh?

Isn't that just a fancy way of saying the true goal is to switch away from a classic 'product' and over to a subscription-based business model?

Oh well. On the bright side it will no longer require a convoluted license to establish exactly who really owns the software you're using if you're an Adobe CS customer. That much will be obvious to even the most clueless optimistic of Adobe users going forward.
 :-\

rgdot:
No Photoshop in boxed, physical format? If I were the alternatives I would be partying till the unshopped sun rises :D

TaoPhoenix:
No Photoshop in boxed, physical format? If I were the alternatives I would be partying till the unshopped sun rises :D
-rgdot (May 06, 2013, 05:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unshopped but otherwise edited!?
8)

These kinds of aggressive moves have a weird feel to them, kinda like double or nothing betting.

app103:
--- End quote ---

Who exactly are the alternatives besides Corel, who are too busy dismembering their products to appreciate this?

TaoPhoenix:
--- End quote ---

Who exactly are the alternatives besides Corel, who are too busy dismembering their products to appreciate this?
-app103 (May 06, 2013, 07:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Last I knew the poster "non-alternative" is GIMP. I hear it's just too different and missing important things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version