ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Steam, and customer satisfaction

<< < (2/4) > >>

fenixproductions:
OFFTOPIC

Which third world country is the one you live in?
For comparison purposes (and I really don't intend to brag, it's not good enough for that) even the most remote village in Turkey has reasonable (4-8 Mbit) dsl connections available, with unlimited data costing 30-40 dollars a month. If you agree to a data cap of 6GB per month you get to pay no more than 15$.
-eleman (May 03, 2013, 03:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
London, Canary Warf - my friend is living there and for 'bout two years his Internet speed on evenings & nights had been ~1.5kb/s (kilobits – no joke here). It changed some time ago luckily but even middle of civilisation may mean nothing if your provider uses crappy cable lines (BT sucks a lot).

/OFFTOPIC

Target:
BTW, the 35GB install seems excessive - it only takes up 14.2GB on both my XP and Win7 machines.-4wd (May 03, 2013, 05:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was the disk space requirement stated by the installer.  I thought it was excessive too - it was quite a 'What the?' moment when I was doing the install.

Which third world country is the one you live in?
For comparison purposes (and I really don't intend to brag, it's not good enough for that) even the most remote village in Turkey has reasonable (4-8 Mbit) dsl connections available, with unlimited data costing 30-40 dollars a month. If you agree to a data cap of 6GB per month you get to pay no more than 15$.
-eleman (May 03, 2013, 03:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Australia.  Not a third world country by any means, but a big country with a small population and lot's of 'empty' space.  We live too far from the exhange to get DSL, and will never get access to cable, so our only options are dialup or wireless (or satellite...).  Dialup is, well, abysmal, and wireless is sometimes not much better (it's recently been below Kb speed). 

But that's not the point.  And as far as I see it it is a Steam problem.  This my PC, Steam is a portal.  If I want to buy or download something from Steam, I'll do so, and if I don't, I won't.  My choice...

As it stands, Steam presumes, and I get no say (I've already checked don't automatically update this product).  Worse, there's nothing to indicate what it actually is that's being downloaded, ie it says game X is being 'updated', but there's no detail or description, nor is there anything to indicate how many such 'updates' might be required.

Software patching is an accepted practice, but removing all options, including personal choice, is a bit extreme (I wonder what Renegade would say about that ;D)

Tinman57:
Which third world country is the one you live in? -eleman (May 03, 2013, 03:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here in the 3rd world country of the U.S., unless you live in or close to a big city you can expect data speeds of 1 to 1.5 Mbps, that's Mega Bits Per Second!, and have small allowances of data per month (thresholds), and your not even guaranteed that speed.  Most of the time I'll see half of what they advertised.  Even in the big cities, getting anything faster than that will really put a dent in your bank account.  The U.S. is the biggest RIPOFF when it comes to broadband service.  In other words, we're being gouged deeply.

cranioscopical:

I'm fed up with Steam--it's coming out of my ears.

The idea of buying a game from the local store and then having to wait the better part of a week in order to play it seems preposterous.

OTOH, I've had some good bargains from them.

barney:
OTOH, I've had some good bargains from them.
-cranioscopical (May 05, 2013, 08:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

So?  How much is your time worth  ;)?!?

In regard to speed, I'm occasionally in contact with folk my age in rural Missouri and Illinois in the US, their parents/family having been friends with my parents/family.  Some of 'em are so remote that they are still on party lines  :o!  Can't even use a modem, there.  Only option is [questionable] satellite service - ain't too many cell towers in that area  :(.  Steam is not in their immediate - or not-so-immediate - future.  A few of 'em have purchased games that required online updates.  They got 'em, but they cannot play 'em.  I'm not much of a gamer, but that situation steams [any puns intended] them - and me  >:(.  Seems a shame that the nation that developed the Web infrastructure cannot seem to provide access to all its residents.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version