ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Now you can "Log-In with PayPal"

<< < (2/3) > >>

wraith808:
It just strikes me as a dangerously tempting target.
-Stoic Joker (May 01, 2013, 11:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

This.  And anything can be broken given the time and effort- the reward just has to make it worth it. Linking any login to a financial entity = bad idea IMO.

kyrathaba:
Linking any login to a financial entity = bad idea IMO.
--- End quote ---

Absolutely! And the log-me-in services should have a detailed blacklisting of financial institution URLs and refuse to allow their services to interact with such sites, IMHO.

@StoicJ: I agree with you in questioning the strategic wisdom of using SSO services in that way.

barney:
Last time I looked - been a while - oAuth didn't seem all that secure to me.  But, I'm sure as Hell not gonna log in with financial username/password.  I've been called - and probably was - a fool before, but not that big a fool  :P.

mouser:
As others have said, I don't see people using this.  However secure it may be, who is going to want to risk connecting to their financial institution login more than they have to.

On the other hand -- for years paypal has provided a super-easy-to-use, free security key hardware device which provides a serious and real extra layer of security to logging into their site.  They are way ahead of the banks in this regard and it's a genuinely excellent security enhancement.  I don't know why we haven't more use of such devices.  A single-login system that supported such hardware keys would be quite useful.

Gary87zx:
Bad idea.

PayPal has a bad habit of capriciously and permanently looking out accounts and refusing to tell why. The happened to me about 15 years ago. As best I could determine, they banned a site and *everyone* who had ever bought from that site. I was an avid eBay purchaser then and had no idea what caused it or even what site it was.

I'm still locked out. I can use their guest pay but only with a credit card that was never associated with my Paypal account.

To add insult to injury, every time I do so, I get reminded that I have a Paypal account and get a suggestion that I sign in and use my account.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version