ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Raymond.cc compares antivirus memory usage

<< < (3/5) > >>

conceptualclarity:
My biggest problems with AV's are when downloading - they tend to not only check the download but also the contents of the download folder which tends to be over-full - or simply when navigating within any file dialogue (save/open).
I guess those two overlap.

MSE used to really slow things down as per above, but it has improved and stabilised the last few months.
-tomos (April 30, 2013, 05:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have noticed that Microsoft Security Essentials goes crazy with CPU usage and brings my system nearly to a halt when I open up Downloads folder or deal with a program saved to Desktop. I've taken to momentarily killing it from Task Manager to punish that behavior. I haven't seen any improvement in recent months as you have.

The Raymond.cc blog has just put up a serious comparison of the memory usage of a ton of different antivirus programs.

It's not easy to evaluate such things given all of the different factors involved, but the results are informative.  Definitely worth a look to see where your antivirus program of choice comes in.  Is your favorite tool a memory hog?
--- End quote ---

Pleased to meet you, mouser, and thank you so very much for that post. I'm on a memory-starved computer, and I've been looking for a new antivirus. I had narrowed it down to Avira, Avast, and AVG as quality free choices. This cinches it for Avast.

Tinman57:
I'm on a memory-starved computer, and I've been looking for a new antivirus. I had narrowed it down to Avira, Avast, and AVG as quality free choices. This cinches it for Avast.
-conceptualclarity (May 09, 2013, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Avast is awesome on my system, and I've tried a bunch of them everywhere from McAfee to Norton to Kaspersky and all in-between, and Avast has the lowest memory usage and doesn't tie up my CPU unless skanning a huge file, which is pretty much normal for all of them.

To be fair though, I haven't used Norton or the others in years since I switched.  Had way too many problems with them all, the last being Kaspersky, that will force you to remove some useful software like Spyware S&D BEFORE it will allow you to install.  Insanity!  It was their way of squashing some of the competition.  I got tired of having to uninstall Kaspersky just to update Spybot and a couple of others.  And they all worked just fine with Kaspersky, so I don't know what their problem is....

Joe Hone:
I was having CPU issues and among all of the other culprits, AVG was taking a toll. The article motivated me to survey the market and I have migrated back to Avast as well. Thanks Mouser - all 3 computers are running better.

I should post a separate topic, but AVG wouldn't uninstall on 2 of my 3 computers, not using AnVir Pro, Windows uninstall, etc. I even tried the steps on the AVG site for stubborn uninstalls.  I had to reboot, kill the processes using AnVir, and then use wipe expert to completely uninstall them. What a pain.

barney:
AV?  That stands for audiovisual  :huh:.  Anti-virus?  Nonexistent save for virii that have already been identified.  Some of the removal systems seem adequate - MalwarBytes comes to mind - but I've yet to find any anti-virus system that could be trusted.  I'll set up a firewall, but it is only as effective as my imagination.  To my mind, anti-virus software is totally useless - it's a safety blanket that doesn't work, that gives a false sense of security.

I read raymond.cc's review.  It was comprehensive.  I appreciate the amount of effort he put forth to create it.  But, in the long run, it's basically useless.  You never know how adequate your security system is until it fails and you know that it failed.

This is common throughout history.  Examples?  Hadrian's Wall, the Great Wall of China, the French Maginot Line, all were circumvented at some point.  Not defeated, circumvented.  And any anti-virus solution will, in like fashion, be circumvented, not by a head-on attack, but by an end run, a circumvention not anticipated by the protection authors.

It is a given.  It's a challenge to some.  And they will not let that gauntlet lie on the forest floor.

x16wda:
Sure, everything you might use will be circumvented in time, but that doesn't mean that the less effective attacks aren't going to happen in the meantime.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version