ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Internet's new content cops - meet 'The Deciders'

<< < (3/3)

app103:
But the law already allows private companies and individuals to restrict free speech in whatever they have ownership and control over...so if someone posts a comment on your blog that you don't like, you are within your rights to delete it, and it doesn't violate anybody's Constitutional rights. Radio & TV networks, newspapers, and magazines also don't have to air it or publish it if it doesn't conform to their content policies, either. No change in the laws are needed.

If you don't like what someone or some company is airing or publishing, don't read it, don't buy it, don't watch it, don't listen to it, don't support it.

Nobody forces me to watch FOX news or listen to Rush Limbaugh, so I don't. It's as simple as that. (ain't freedom great?) No need to make laws to change the content of shows I have no intention of supporting. There are plenty of others for me to choose from...they are not the only programs on TV or radio. If enough people feel the same as I do about those programs and do as I do (not support them by reading, watching, listening), it stops being profitable to air those views, and if those people want to keep expressing them, they will have to do so at their own expense. Still, no need to change the laws to censor them.

And if the laws are changed to restrict free speech, and you think it's ok, as long as views you don't agree with are the ones being censored, there will come a day when you are the one with the unpopular views that end up censored, and then you'll understand what's so wrong about it. Or if you don't want to wait that long to understand, go take a vacation to China and visit all your favorite websites or better yet, go express your political views in the middle of Tiananmen Square.

It's really not a good thing when your government can kill you for having an opinion, neither is it a good thing when they can stop you from expressing it.

Tinman57:
But the law already allows private companies and individuals to restrict free speech in whatever they have ownership and control over...so if someone posts a comment on your blog that you don't like, you are within your rights to delete it, and it doesn't violate anybody's Constitutional rights. Radio & TV networks, newspapers, and magazines also don't have to air it or publish it if it doesn't conform to their content policies, either. No change in the laws are needed.

If you don't like what someone or some company is airing or publishing, don't read it, don't buy it, don't watch it, don't listen to it, don't support it.

Nobody forces me to watch FOX news or listen to Rush Limbaugh, so I don't. It's as simple as that. (ain't freedom great?) No need to make laws to change the content of shows I have no intention of supporting. There are plenty of others for me to choose from...they are not the only programs on TV or radio. If enough people feel the same as I do about those programs and do as I do (not support them by reading, watching, listening), it stops being profitable to air those views, and if those people want to keep expressing them, they will have to do so at their own expense. Still, no need to change the laws to censor them.

And if the laws are changed to restrict free speech, and you think it's ok, as long as views you don't agree with are the ones being censored, there will come a day when you are the one with the unpopular views that end up censored, and then you'll understand what's so wrong about it. Or if you don't want to wait that long to understand, go take a vacation to China and visit all your favorite websites or better yet, go express your political views in the middle of Tiananmen Square.

It's really not a good thing when your government can kill you for having an opinion, neither is it a good thing when they can stop you from expressing it. -app103 (April 30, 2013, 10:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

YES!  EXACTLY EVERYTHING YOU SAID!!!   :up:

Tinman57:
Read the whole article here. -40hz (April 30, 2013, 09:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

He sure got his butt ripped over this article in the comments section.  lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version