ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Turn a batch file into an AHK script.

<< < (8/16) > >>

pilgrim:
OK, I have set up the scheduled task and it works perfectly.
I have recreated shortcuts from Network Connections thereby cutting out the batch files.

I have some questions:

I have found that the icon sometimes remains when I disconnect and the only way to get rid of it is to close the program using the task manager.
(I thought at first this was only if I tried to disconnect shortly after I had connected but it has just done it after being connected for 5 minutes.)

When I close the connection and the icon does disappear it takes about 5 seconds by my reckoning, I am not sure if this is related to the polling delay or a shutdown delay, either way could it be reduced to say 2 seconds?

Does the latest version of PPTPchek replace the previous version if someone is still using batch files or do they work in different ways?

I think I mentioned somewhere that I am in touch with a VPN developer/provider, would you have any objections if details/instructions for PPTPchek were put on his website, it would of course be credited to you?

4wd:
I have found that the icon sometimes remains when I disconnect and the only way to get rid of it is to close the program using the task manager.-pilgrim (May 09, 2013, 03:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Or perhaps right-click on the icon and select Exit?  ;)

Next time it happens please open a CLI and type rasdial.exe and copy the results.  If it says "No connections" then there is a problem.

When I close the connection and the icon does disappear it takes about 5 seconds by my reckoning, I am not sure if this is related to the polling delay or a shutdown delay, either way could it be reduced to say 2 seconds?
--- End quote ---

I can change it easily enough but there will be an attendant CPU load increase also, (due to less time in idle state and calling rasdial more often).  Still looking at a better way to get connection state - possibly just by hitting the performance counters.

Does the latest version of PPTPchek replace the previous version if someone is still using batch files or do they work in different ways?
--- End quote ---

Replaces, it only requires an optional delay, it will pick up the connection name from what rasdial reports.

I think I mentioned somewhere that I am in touch with a VPN developer/provider, would you have any objections if details/instructions for PPTPchek were put on his website, it would of course be credited to you?
--- End quote ---

Not a problem, maybe I'll add a /? so you can get the CLI parameters, (like a normal DOS command).

pilgrim:
--- End quote ---

In spite of my fast approaching senility that was the first thing I looked at. :D  No context menu on the icon when this happens!
I also tried a couple of the options we have come up with for cleaning the tray, nothing worked so it would seem the icon is not orphaned.

Next time it happens please open a CLI and type rasdial.exe and copy the results.  If it says "No connections" then there is a problem.
--- End quote ---

As soon as I get a minute I will, I can reproduce it if I open and then close a connection fairly quickly, which is how I discovered it. I am guessing there is some sort of delay involved there as well.

I can change it easily enough but there will be an attendant CPU load increase also, (due to less time in idle state and calling rasdial more often).
--- End quote ---

At the moment I can't see any CPU load, at least not in the task manager.
As this is only for Windows 7 (don't (want to)) know anything about 8, we are mainly talking about newer computers so resources are less of an issue than they used to be and in this case it seems to be minimal anyway.
If you want to let me have a version set to 2 seconds I'll give it a try. And if there is a delay involved when the program opens perhaps you could reduce that as well?

Not a problem, maybe I'll add a /? so you can get the CLI parameters, (like a normal DOS command).
--- End quote ---

Thanks, from the reaction I got when I first mentioned it to my friend I suspect that the lack of an icon is a subject that has come up often so a working solution will help a lot of people. How long has Windows 7 been out?

On a slightly different but connected note:

I have connections to 3 PPTP servers all from the same provider although not the one mentioned previously.
I can connect to 2 of them but the third is giving me an 807 error message all the time.
The developer has checked both the server and my login and cannot find a problem.
I have tried everything from shutting down both the firewall and AV to creating a new connection without a solution.

I have used these connections for several years without a problem and nothing in my set up has been changed.
If the router is passing other PPTP connections it can't be that and the same applies to the firewall and AV.

Can you think of anything I've missed?

pilgrim:
Based on the difference between the last time I posted and when I shut down PPTP I had been on the same connection over 3 hours.
Disconnected, the icon stayed put and I got the following from the CLI:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Pilgrim>rasdial.exe
No connections
Command completed successfully.
--- End quote ---

4wd:
--- End quote ---

In spite of my fast approaching senility that was the first thing I looked at. :D  No context menu on the icon when this happens!
I also tried a couple of the options we have come up with for cleaning the tray, nothing worked so it would seem the icon is not orphaned.-pilgrim (May 09, 2013, 07:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Only thing I can think of is you happening to use rasdial, (to disconnect), at the same instant PPTPchek wants to use it.  I'll put a simple check in to delay PPTPchek if the radial.exe process exists, I've also changed the delay to 2 seconds.

Give it a try and let me know, I'm still looking at another way to get PPTP VPN status that isn't so "hacky".

I have used these connections for several years without a problem and nothing in my set up has been changed.
If the router is passing other PPTP connections it can't be that and the same applies to the firewall and AV.

Can you think of anything I've missed?
--- End quote ---

Sorry, can't help you as I rarely use VPNs - closest I get is over a SSH tunnel to my VPS.
No PPTP VPN will work on my Win7 machine currently, (time to reinstall), but a SSH tunnel is damn near bulletproof.

That's why my testing is only on my WHS machine atm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version