ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Remember where I got the Download

<< < (4/5) > >>

cyberdiva:
I tend to avoid the problem by asking that all downloads go to my Downloads folder.  Of course, not all do, but between the Download StatusBar extension in Firefox/Pale Moon and the wonderful Everything search engine, I can always find where the download has gone.

TaoPhoenix:
As a data hoarder, the approach I would generally recommend is to always automate creating/maintaining a record of downloaded files, by automatically capturing the data and logging it at the time of the download.
-IainB (July 22, 2013, 11:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Iain,

I might be a bit on the Apples and Mangoes department, but I can't think of how I'd automate my file name mnemonic style because about four keywords in filenames have to do any four of fifteen things depending on what group they are part of! And at a holistic level, surely stuff that's relevant for research PDFs makes zero sense for music files, but even within category, for example I have a hobby that I take a song and make about four more custom versions where I drop the speed, pitch, tempo, add echo, amplify, and maybe slice out some dumb four seconds of something.

And on and on!

tomos:
^Dont know about automation, but I remembered this thread from Armando How do you tag (or even organize) your files? and thought it might be relevant.
(FWIW I only ever skimmed it - found the idea interesting but never followed up on it).

rjbull:
Gizmo's latest TechSupportAlert newsletter references his article This Download Manager could be the Next Big thing!, on EagleGet Universal Download Manager.  One of the subsequent comments says this about Free Download Manager:
by chishold on 17. September 2013 - 3:53  (110767)

My favourite FDM feature is the ability to create a description file for the download. I find this especially useful for software downloads.

The description file will contain the download URL, the date of the download and the description entered; if no description is given, the description file will not be created. The name of the description file is of the form: [filename].[ext].dsc.txt and therefore would be found adjacent to the actual download in an alphabetical folder listing.

A fictional description example:

Acme Widget 2.34
    Small, fast widget manager. Monitor system for new widgets, manage or remove existing widgets.
    Windows 2000 and above.
    Requires Widget Platform 1.01

The program name and version helps when the file name doesn't change between versions, which is the usual case.

A short blurb can usually be copied from the first paragraph on the "About" web page for the program. It should contain enough keywords to successfully search for later. When I was trying duplicate file finders, I downloaded a dozen installers, many with names like SetupDD.exe and dd.zip, whiich give little indication of their purpose or product name.
[...]
--- End quote ---
I haven't tried this myself, but it looks a good idea, though I'd rather FDM used a "standard" format like DESCRIPT.ION or FILES.BBS.

tomos:
Doesn't xyplorer have some kind of comment/tag system for files? I have a memory of there being a bit of a fuss cause they didnt use DESCRIPT.ION files.

Found it:
http://www.xyplorer.com/tour/?page=tags

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version