ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Strange problem with default screenshot directory on network drive

(1/2) > >>

sba:
On my home desktop the "My documents" directory is stored on a network drive on my NAS. This results in Screenshot Captor defaulting to:

S:\DOC\DonationCoder\ScreenshotCaptor\Screenshots

to store the screenshots.

The behavior of the latest version with this setup is strange.

Often when the machine wakes up from hibernation I get one of the following errors:

- Error creating non-existing directory: 'S:\DOC\DonationCoder\ScreenshotCaptor\Screenshots'.
- (even weirder) "The is no disk in drive. Insert a disk in drive A: / Cancel / Try Again / Continue"

For now, I'll work around this by forcing the screenshots to be stored on a local drive, but this is inconvenient as I cannot access them anymore from my laptop...

Any clue?

mouser:
That sounds really annoying.. sounds like when system wakes up from hibernation its returning file creation errors.. I will see if i can't find a way to deal with that -- like detecting if the drive is a network drive and if so trying to pause and wait for drive to wake up before throwing that error.

The second error about "no disk in drive" -- does that always happen AFTER the first error about "creating non-existing directory"?

And you said the error occurs then the machine wakes up from hibernation -- but do you really mean that it happens when the machine wakes up -- or do you mean it happens if you try to take a screenshot right after the machine wakes up?  Or do you mean it happens after the first screenshot taken after the system wakes up from hibernation, regardless of the delay since that time?

sba:
I get either the directory creation error, or the A: drive. Don't think I ever got both in sequence.

That does happen right after the machine wakes up, not when I take a screenshot after the wake up.

Probably the OS takes some time to restore the network connection, and your code's faster at... doing something ;-)

jhines97:
Is there a fix for this?  I am having the same issue.

Stoic Joker:
I've actually seen quite a bit of odd/ill behavior with Windows (waking up cranky) in general if the My Documents folder is moved to a network drive (which also kills the start menu auto-search/indexing feature). This is due to Windows not always having the share access reopened completely before an application tries to get there.

If you browse to the network located My Documents folder, right click it, and select 'Always available offline'. It will enable the Client Side Cache (CSC) for all the files stored in the network location, and I suspect it may eliminate the errors.

Note: I've not tried using the above for this specific case, I'm only stating that it has resolved this type of behavior for me several times in the past.

If you have a large amount of data on the network drive, it will vary close to the same amount of space on your computer to cache it locally. So if you have a really large amount of data it would be prudent to only cache specific troublesome subfolders ... Instead of the entire My Documents parent folder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version