ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend? USB 3.0 + eSATA hub for desktop tower

(1/1)

superboyac:
OK, here's what I need:
Some kind of hub to attach mount to my desktop so I can have USB 3.0 and eSATA connections.  Right now, I have neither, although the tower has two unused usb 3.0 slots, but the motherboard has no place for it (doesn't support it).  I have two PCI-E slots available.  I've looked around, I've found a couple of PCI-E things that have two of each connection on it.  I don't know why this seems to be the limit (4 total) but it is everywhere I look.

I also have a bunch of unused 5.25" bays, so I'd like to mount a hub in one of them that has few of each connector on it.  I'm not having much luck finding it, but as far as that goes, how would it connect to the motherboard?  I'm guessing the 5.25 hub would connect through a normal usb 3.0 or sata cable to some pci-e device, but I'm not sure.

Any recommendations?

Here's an interesting one...I like how the bay plugs into the motherboard directly with some funky pci-e cable!
http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/5-25-Media-Dashboard-PCI-e-to-USB-3-0-HUB-and-USB2-0-All-in/722192611.html

superboyac:
Looks like I may have to get another sata controller for the mobo, since I'm out of sata slots.  SOmething like this:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Port-Express-eSATA-Controller/dp/B00952N2DQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367115511&sr=1-4&keywords=esata+pcie

Still, why can't any product out there go for more that 4 of these high-speed plugs?  All motherboards I've seen have 4 sata slots plus 2 more of a "special" variety (so 6 max, usually).  Then, all the addons with pcie have up to 4 max.  This one (above) has 2, but you can use either one internally or externally.  But why can't they make one with 2 internal AND 2 external?  Seems like the technology for esata or USB 3.0 can't go past 4.

They have usb 2.0 hubs that can have 10, even 28 I've seen.  Maybe there just isn't much demand.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version