ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"Contest" - The most difficult Opt Out screens on installs!?

<< < (2/4) > >>

vlastimil:
Both of these examples are horrible. When I have a chance to look at someone's computer, I almost always spot a malware/spyware installed there. And this includes people, who more or less know their way around computers. I find myself apologizing for the state the computer industry is in.  >:(

Recently, I checked my software on the most well known download sites and about half of them are letting users download malware instead of the actual software. Some of them even have videos full of BS about how great their downloader is. I tried to send the download sites emails with my objections, but not with a big success. TUCOWS removed my apps from their site (OK with me), softonic refused to do anything, CNET blocked the downloader for my software (this is old news). No response from the other offenders.

TaoPhoenix:
Any way, here are the screenshots, which the choices were slightly different this time, compared to what I described above, but still just as annoying.
-app103 (April 26, 2013, 05:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

especially sneaky the way the [cancel] button is greyed out as if it's not an option :down: :down:
-tomos (April 27, 2013, 02:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

And in honor of Tomos's post, here are my screenshots of the "Trope Starter"!

bit:

TaoPhoenix:
You mean (gasp) TUCOWS, softonic, and CNET all include crapware in their software downloads? I'm asking, seriously?
-bit (May 01, 2013, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I knew there would be, but it's that there's more and more of it as time passes. Pretty soon it's becoming a game of Minefield just to opt out!

vlastimil:
Not sure how seriously you were actually asking. But in case that was not sarcasm, then the answer is yes. Tucows is probably the worst of them as they only offer links to the crapware. Softonic's big download buttons lead to crapware, but they also have a much smaller links to the original sources. CNET does the same as Softonic, but if the software developer asks them, they will block the crapware for the developer's software titles. A slight improvement, but most of the software titles are still dangerous.

Download servers are not worth it for software developers anymore. I do not submit my new or updated software to any download servers (except portablefreeware.com) and I am considering stopping updating the PAD files. It is just not worth it. New software developers without established web site may even shoot themselves in the foot by adding their software to a big download site. A title on cnet's download.com may actually outrank the developers own web site in Google and who would a user, who just downloaded a crapware, blame? CNET or the actual developer?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version