ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Office 2013 drops cleartype, fonts a disaster. Any way to fix it?

<< < (2/5) > >>

urlwolf:
Btw, if you spend any time on linux (ubuntu), you may have realized the freetype rendering is superior to cleartype anyway. Fortunately there's a way to get freetype on windows:

mactype

I use it and it improves chrome's rendering quite a bit.

40hz:
^Agree!  ;D I currently spend about 80-90% of my time in Linux these days. And it never ceases to surprise me how lousy type looks by comparison whenever I first boot into a Windows 7 session. Even when Cleartype is turned on.

urlwolf:
With mactype (select Xmac.LCD.ubuntu), and this font for office, living inside a win vm is not bad at all. Try it :)!

urlwolf:
HelveticaNeueLT Std Cn looks good in onenote, bad in word.
I haven't found a single font that looks acceptable in word 2013. Way to go word team:
Let's change font rendering; not that anybody is going to notice... who reads on a screen anway?
--- End quote ---

:)

If you find a font that works, please post here.

f0dder:
Btw, if you spend any time on linux (ubuntu), you may have realized the freetype rendering is superior to cleartype anyway.-urlwolf (April 25, 2013, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
That surprises me a bit - at least a while ago, FreeType didn't include sophisticated TTF hinting because of patents... but perhaps they've been able to work around that, or by using another font format, or something?

I've never been much of a fan of font anti-aliasing anyway, neither on Windows, Linux nor OS X - looks too smudgy for me, both on CRTs and TFTs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version