ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Finally! A private, non-cloud file-sharing service

(1/2) > >>

superboyac:
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/04/bittorrent-sync-creates-private-peer-to-peer-dropbox-no-cloud-required/

This is the one I've been waiting for!  See this post:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=31925.msg296807#msg296807

I've always been interested in a way to access your files from everywhere, like dropbox, but without the cloud and without the size limitations.  So this is a very interesting development.  The main issue with private file access like this is that most residential upload speeds are so slow that downloading anything other than simple word documents would be a pain.  And you don't have all the seeders of a torrent to share the bandwidth and make it faster, so that seems to be the main obstacle for me.  That's where the benefit of a cloud comes in.  But with the cloud, there's the privacy issue and normally the size limitations.

KynloStephen66515:
This would be cool if one could somehow use an intermediary FTP server, to serve as the "middleman".

So it would be USER>FTP>USER<FTP<USER

You would get the benefits of private file sharing, with the added bonus of HTTP download speeds xD

f0dder:
This would be cool if one could somehow use an intermediary FTP server, to serve as the "middleman".

So it would be USER>FTP>USER<FTP<USER

You would get the benefits of private file sharing, with the added bonus of HTTP download speeds xD-Stephen66515 (April 23, 2013, 04:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ummm... wat? O_o

The torrent protocol is superior to both HTTP and FTP in quite a lot of ways, including resume-ability and encryption (neither HTTPS, FTPS (foo! please die!) nor SFTP would work very well for peer-to-peer scenarios) and speed. And I can't see why having such a middle man would fix the residential upload bandwidth issue anyway? You'd still need to push your data there?

KynloStephen66515:
Yeah, after a re-read of the initial post...I declare myself insane.

vlastimil:
Step in the right direction, but I am still not completely satisfied. Technology that deals with with data on this level cannot be closed. They need to open the protocol or better yet make the whole project open source and then it will be a hit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version