ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What to do with an SSD after it fails

<< < (5/6) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
I've wondered over the years about "services" that offer to destroy such things...why would one trust them, and even if one did, would they not be a major target?
-ewemoa (April 24, 2013, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

@f0dder, cool photos; definitely not a DIY by any normal means

And that's 4 votes for hammer time, then.

Shades:
Just a few minutes, let me open up my failed Intel X25-E and grab a couple of snaps for y'all.
-f0dder (April 24, 2013, 07:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

It is the first time I see a SSD from the bottom. Normal hard disks have a relatively small PCB which connects to the insides of the hard disk. The connection point contains only a few (8 or so) contacts. If you unscrew the PCB, you'll see that the PCB comes off without any problems. No glue or whatsoever.

At least, this is the case with all the Seagate HD's I have lying around here. Hence the suggestion of a controller swap.

But you are right, your Intel SSD controller looks kinda scary  ;)

4wd:

Shades:
Not to be bad or anything, but replace the resistor with what? You know which kind and capacity of resistor needed for replacement? I assume that Intel is not happily spreading that kind of info to everyone. Of course, if Intel does share, hats off to them.

Too bad that SMD soldering tools are expensive (and very hard to come by in this part of the world, I might add!). With parts so small it is not advisable to fill yourself up with lots of coffee / mountain dew before going to work  :P

On instructional videos that were shown on the school I went to, they showed that components are mechanically glued to the PCB and that the PCB then (very briefly!) dumped in a soldering bath. Worked way faster and less error prone.

ewemoa:
I found the smily at the bottom right corner of the image to be illuminating ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version